March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the dog chews looked like very young water buffalo, but others were more like Gauer(?), also a different species of buffalo. The mature buffalo in Viet Nam had horns several feet long. I brought a pair back that were a couple feet long, but considered them small.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Der Ami .There is the very sad truth about Dairy farming. Male calf's are of no real value and a cost to feed when their mothers start milking again, their fate is sealed with just a few going on for meat production and the majority go for slaughter even then their carcasses are of very little value. Maybe ext time you pour some Milk you will at least know a little of its true cost.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Veal Piccata, Veal Parmesan, etc, etc. I love veal dishes. I think of them not as an expense to dairy farmers, but an unrecognized dividend of the industry. I wonder how come veal dishes are not sold at a discount to hungry consumers like myself?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well George I am sure you have come across the saying the British are a race of animal lovers and as far as it goes Veal meat is produced in a way that is anathema to most Brits. Keeping a calf in a crate so small that the animal can not move around or sit down and feed it on milk that is used to produce the palest veal does not go down well with the majority of the Brit public and a lot of Dairy farmers who are of the opinion it is not good animal husbandry. So veal crates are now band here in the UK. The industry have tried to sell a type of Veal called rosy or pink using slightly larger crates that allow a little movement of the animal, Brits with a modicum of intelligence can work out the difference between bad husbandry and cruelty so veal is not welcome in many of the shops having sales with the trajectory of a lead balloon. You can still purchase it if you want it with some effort though it will be produced in Europe where they have a lower regard for animal welfare. I am not a veterinarian though Veal is not a thing I would eat at all, even a captive bolt in the brain is a far kinder thing to life in a small crate that is so inhumane in my personal view. But it is a large world and one mans food is another mans poison so if people wish to eat Veal who am I to complain.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

While I enjoy veal dishes, I abhor the method the calves are handled to produce it. Likewise, I like goose liver pate but think the force feeding is cruel. I love a hotdog at a ball game but would probably never eat another one if I visited a factory. I'd like to see the veal industry better regulated from a humane point of view and I think the Pate de Foie Gras production has already been regulated. As for hotdogs and sausage we're probably stuck with what we have. Mr. Damascus, I appreciate you're sharing the British background on the subject...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmm, haven't had a good osso buco in while. With a long slow braise, who knows, might turn free range calves into a chewy delicacy.

Last edited by craigd; 01/28/22 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Sicilian grandmother has been gone a long while now but her veal parm was to die for.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well....

What you waiting on ?

PhysDoc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
Fred, while looking at those Ebay offerings of water buffalo horn, one of them looked as if the section of horn was hollow. If you decide to buy any of these for your dog, could you please let us know if they are indeed hollow, or if there is enough solid material that they might be suitable for things like buffalo horn forearm tips or buttplates? They seem pretty reasonably priced compared to blocks of horn that I've seen for sale. Thanks.

Hi Keith

I plan to buy some of those ebay horns, and will let you know. With regard to the horn blocks, while they aren't cheap, they aren't that bad either
when you consider that if you buy a piece of horn, you will have to shape it into a block and that will take some time. And you may find that it has problems.
That being said, a friend mentioned that " Howe would glue round horn plugs in the sling swivel area, then drill them and install swivel into the horn. The horn is much tougher than walnut and once screwed in it’s like there welded." So I would like to have some horn cheaply enough that I could try this.

Fred

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.