March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (FlyChamps, Argo44, SKB, Little Creek, 2 invisible), 790 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,010
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Might I just add that Darne's are just plain cool. I have several different makes of double barrels and like them all but Darne's have always been higher up on my cool list of guns. One of the things that draws me to them is the fact that they are generally light weight. I have read a lot of grumbling about how much recoil Darnes have and that is because as Americans we think we have to shoot magnum loads all the time and pound our shoulders regardless of what gun we are shooting. My new 20 gauge Darne patterns 7/8oz loads of 7.5 or 6's very nicely at 40 yards with little recoil. If you think you need mangnum 1 1/4oz loads, well your going to have to deal with recoil. Choose the proper ammunition for the gun like is done in England and recoil issues will go away.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have 2 Darnes: a 10 (which is a pretty rare gauge in a Darne, at least in the US) and a 12. The 10 is finished to the level equivalent of an R-10, although it probably dates to the late 1890s or very early 1900s and I'm not sure the R/P/V nomenclature was in place when this one was manufactured. The 12 is a P-19, but clearly pre-war, as it came home in a GI's barracks bag at the end of the war, according to the seller.

I like the way they handle, although I do find the safeties less ergonomic than the tang safeties on most of my sxs and o/u shotguns.

Darnes tend to be at the lighter end of the scale for gauge - my 10 weighs 7 pounds 3 ounces, which makes handloading for it mandatory. It has 2-7/8 inch chambers and I use a lot of 16 gauge card wads filling the shot cup to get the shot column level (generally 1-1/16 ounces of shot) up to a point where I get a decent crimp. I was shooting RST shells when they were available, but they are not currently available, so it's handloads or nothing. On the other hand, the 12, which has 2-1/2 inch chambers, weighs almost 6-3/4 pounds, more like a standard British game gun proofed for 1-1/8 ounce shells.

They both kill clay birds dead and do the same on pheasants (when I do my part). I like them.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Darne shotguns are at least interesting & I can think of a lot of US & European double guns that are uglier.

For those more well informed, what is the proper pronunciation of "Darne"? I apologize for my ignorance but my 1 year of high school French in Mrs. Cohee 's class was wasted conjugating verbs & such as opposed to anything useful in learning to speak French.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Brittany Man
Darne shotguns are at least interesting & I can think of a lot of US & European double guns that are uglier.

For those more well informed, what is the proper pronunciation of "Darne"? I apologize for my ignorance but my 1 year of high school French in Mrs. Cohee 's class was wasted conjugating verbs & such as opposed to anything useful in learning to speak French.

Darn. For extra credit in French gun word class, remember the French pronounce “Charlin” like we pronounce “Charley”.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

Darn.

Best,
Ted

Well, I learned something today.

I wasn't sure of the correct pronunciation either, but was told by a pretty knowledgeable gun guy that it was pronounced "Dar-nay". I have assumed that was correct ever since. But knowing that Ted was a U.S. Distributor for this brand, and that he has actually been in their factory in France, I am quite satisfied that he knows the correct pronunciation. I will even take Ted's word for it that there actually is a real physical Darne factory with buildings and actual gun making employees... which is more than we can say for E.M. Reilly. smile

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: LeFusil
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thanks, Keith. Larry would tell you the same thing about the pronunciation. He was there, too.

There for sure WAS a factory with gunmakers, when I was there. Nice facility with large and tall windows, and an underground range for regulating double rifles. But, last I heard, Herve’ was retired (he is my age, 60) with some health issues, and the new ownership wasn’t building anything. I don’t know if it is over, but, nothing seems to be happening at the moment. The factory built some fantastic versions of the Petrik O/U, but, the last catalog doesn’t show that, it shows a modern, and typical, generic boxlock O/U.
The website is up, but, unresponsive.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

Darn.

Best,
Ted

Well, I learned something today.

I wasn't sure of the correct pronunciation either, but was told by a pretty knowledgeable gun guy that it was pronounced "Dar-nay". I have assumed that was correct ever since. But knowing that Ted was a U.S. Distributor for this brand, and that he has actually been in their factory in France, I am quite satisfied that he knows the correct pronunciation. I will even take Ted's word for it that there actually is a real physical Darne factory with buildings and actual gun making employees... which is more than we can say for E.M. Reilly. smile

😂😂😂😂

Sidelock
Sidelock

i enjoy the mechanical varieties of various types of sxs guns....let's face it - all of our myriad sxs guns are by their very nature based upon an ancient form....i stumble through the descriptions of obscure patent's in crudgington & baker, and read the thumbnails that diggory posts of the odd and unusual guns that pass through his hands....self cocking hammer guns, tolley's giant grip, cashmore's outboard lock trapgun - all the weird and wonderful.

i enjoy owning and using guns that fall outside the norm....i appreciate french guns, in part because they often stepped outside normal conventions. i've owned a couple of darnes (both gone - as they did not fit me)....and i own a couple of mf ideals (which do...)

the last four guns i have acquired have included....a jaeger verschluss (with the two parallel hooks that pivot on easily replaceable hinge pins)....a lefever pivot-lever gun (1890) with more adjustments than you can shake a stick at....a dougall lockfast gun, that i took a chance on - and came through with surprisingly good tubes and nice mechanics....and a j.p.sauer & sohn 16 hammer gun. what they have in common is the fact they interest me (and they all fit me reasonably well - the jaeger & dougall particularly well)....they all can be used (within limits)....and they each have historical significance within the rich past of the sxs.

i know that you have shot competitively....i just dabble....but - you know what they say - different strokes...

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.