April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hugh Lomas, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein, Wild Skies, 1 invisible), 388 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had a chance to look at a c. 1910 Cashmore sidelock damascus 16 ga. gun whose subsequent nitro-proof marks are Birmingham House' post-1954'. The right barrel is stamped .662" and the left at .669" in accordance with that 1954 change that required this stamping, among other things. The nominal bores, however, measure .004" beyond those markings nine inches from the breech.

My question is this: Did the Birmingham proof house likely stamp the actual measured nominal diameter of each bore on its respective barrel flat....or are these figures of .662" and .669" indicative of the lower limits of their particular bore range? I ask this because a true 16 bore under the British system is reported to be .662" to .668" in some of my literature....while a .669" begins the 16/1 bore range.

It's very possible that the stamped measurements ARE the actual measured diameters nine inches in, and that the bores have been honed a few thousandths each to .667 and .673 respectively. Regardless, the gun is still in proof with a minimum wall thickness of .029"R and .034"L so it's more a matter of curiosity on my part than anything else.

I'd be appreciative if anyone can shed some light as to whether Birmingham's bore diameter stampings post-1954 are hard, factual measurements, OR rather the lower limit of a bore range that brackets the actual diameter?

Thanks in advance,
Rob Harris

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob, the information I have also indicates that 16/1 range begins at .669. Can't help with the rest.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob;
I know that under the old system of stamping gauge a gun was considered "In Proof" until it took the next larger gage. Thus a gun stamped 16 (.662") was "Out of Proof" if it took the 16/1 (.669") plug. Under this system if a new gun was .668" it would be stamped 16 & taking a mere .002" out would put it out of proof.
Basically it was my understanding the reason for the change was to show actual dia at proof & allow .008" (.2mm) of mat'l to be removed without taking it out of proof.
I am however unable to confirm this to be actual fact.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks fellas for what you contributed here. What you said re: the reason for change makes sense, Miller.....and I've the phone number for the Birmingham House if it gets to bugging me too much. If I make that call, I'll post what I find out. In any event, I appreciated your thoughts.

Rob

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.