April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (MattH, earlyriser, rtw, LRF), 409 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,091
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Long story, which I'll try to keep short. One of my uncles brought this back after WWII - he served as a medic in Germany late in the war with the 63rd Infantry Division. The rifle was brought back in its original configuration and gifted to another uncle. Unfortunately, the second uncle has the gun worked over and restocked - he used it for years as his deer rifle and fired commercial 8mm Mauser hunting ammo in it. The bolt handle was altered to clear a new scope - which was mounted using a Marbles Game Getter see-through arrangement. There is also now a low-profile Buehler safety on it.

Somewhere I have a photo of the original, unaltered rifle hanging on a wall in a 1946-vintage deer camp photo. It shows that the buttstock had a typical European/German cheek rest on the left side.

There are no markings (including a serial number) on the gun anywhere, except for a small, neatly stamped "H.M." on the underside of the barrel.

The chambering is also somewhat of a mystery. The bore slugs for a .323" bullet and the chamber is very long. But since the magazine looks to be standard, I'm guessing this gun is either chambered for the standard 8mm Mauser, or maybe the longer 8x60 Mauser.

I have a handful of 170-gr 8mm Remington Core-Lokt jacketed bullets. One of my Lyman reloading manuals shows an OAL with this bullet of 2.85". My chamber measures long enough to seat one of these bullets in a cartridge 3.509" long - so something seems odd. One of my cousins has some brass fired in this rifle and I've asked him to send them to me - hopefully that will answer my cartridge question.

I'm including a few photos of the gun (it's partially disassembled at the moment, so it's not all there). The bore (from the bolt face to the muzzle) measures right at 23-5/8" (or 60 cm).

I would appreciate any thoughts on what this gun may have been originally, and especially on the H.M. markings.

I would normally attempt to restore a bubba-ed rifle like this, but I'm going to sentimentally leave it in its current configuration.

TIA,

Tom

[Linked Image from images2.imgbox.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom,
Your rifle is most likely an 8x57 that was converted to 8x60 after WW1 to comply with Treaty( lawful) requirements. Depending on chamber length, it also could have been chambered to 8mm/06 after arriving in the US. The H.M. is likely the touch mark of the barrel maker. Lack of markings could result from being removed before the reblue job in the US, in which case the H.M. would likely be the initials of the person doing the work. It is possible that it was a rifle put together after WW2 before the Germans were allowed to make guns again. Times were hard enough that gunsmiths built many such rifles for GIs in return for various barter items, including cigarettes. Some cleaned the markings off to avoid discovery, but most didn't bother. This would make 8x60 caliber less likely, but still possible. Your best bet would be to have a chamber cast made to determine the caliber. Your gunsmith could get a pretty good idea by checking with 8mm and 30-06 headspace gauges.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bubba'd or customized to fit his needs.

Original stock more than likely too much drop to be useable with a scope, then scopes weren't the scopes we have today, see through mounts were common since fixed 4x or 6x scopes had quite narrow FOV's and slow target acquisition, prone to fogging and see-thru and swing aways were very popular. Remember they were FREE bring backs no matter how fancy they were.

My ex-FinL had a beautiful commercial Mauser built in Germany, octagon barrel, double set trigger, nice walnut stock with cheek piece that he liberated. He got home and decent hunting ammo was non-existent for the rifle, he wanted a scope. So it received a Buhmiller barrel in 250-3000, D&T'd, he bought a beautiful piece of presentation grade walnut from Herters and had it custom stocked and hunted it from 1950 to 2015 when he died, so was it Bubba'd or was it a donor for custom rifle?

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.