March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gunning Bird, 3 invisible), 346 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey guys,
So I’m not sure what’s going on, it’s a true oil finish that’s been knocked down flat, but for some reason I’m getting what looks like scratches when you touch it but you can rub them out just by wiping. It’s not in one area it the whole stock. What is going on? Is there anyway to correct this?
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
descargar imagenes con link de instagram

Sidelock
Sidelock

Put a couple drops of Tru-Oil on your hands and rub it out again.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't help with the finish though is sounds like there is an undercoat that the Tru Oil can't hang on to.

But what's up with that checkering? It looks really interesting. Any more pics?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can't help with the finish though is sounds like there is an undercoat that the Tru Oil can't hang on to.

But what's up with that checkering? It looks really interesting. Any more pics?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Correct me if I'm wrong... I am assuming this is a recently applied Birchwood Casey Tru Oil finish.

If so, I'd like to know if the finish seems even a bit soft or tacky, and how long ago it was applied. I had something similar happen years ago with a GB Linspeed finish. I believe I got a bottle from a batch that probably did not have near enough dryer. I ended up rubbing it all off with thinner, and applying a different finish which hardened normally.

That was the last time I used Linspeed, and it has also been quite a while since I used Tru Oil too. There are better wood finishing products that also cost less per ounce. We have had several threads here discussing the merits and characteristics of various stock finishing products. I'm not saying that Tru Oil cannot give you a nice looking finish, but if it has failed, you might want to move on to something else.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Agreed. By the pics I'd advise "just keep going".

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

This can be a number of things but more than likely it is either oil in the woods surface before you applied your True Oil this does prevent the finishing oil from truly curing, or you have not left the first coat to dry and properly cure. As you are only at the beginning of re finishing I would be tempted to remove the finish that is on the stock with a solvent. Then let the solvent evaporate leave the stock over night then re apply the true Oil letting the first coat fully cure before applying any further coats. You could keep going and apply more and hope the dryers in the proceeding coats will improve matters though you can never be sure.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Keith, yes the stock was stripped to bare wood, one coat of linseed oil then 4 coats of truoil dried, then knocked down once the pores were filled, one coat on top then knocked down to remove the “shine/glare” all this took about two weeks. No tackiness, or grippy feeling smooth as butter. I’ve done this process before, this was the first time I got these what I call scratches that you can just rub out with your finger. I used true oil as that is what the manufacturer suggested to use. I think Damascus is on to it with the linseed oil not setting before I applied the trueoil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Brent

Nothing special some call it the stupidest gun ever made, I love it, lightweight and totally customizable, I can fit it for me and five minutes later fit it to my son who shoots left handed. I will say they really pooched it with that built in pad on the comb, I do not like that at all.

Last edited by RARiddell; 12/25/21 08:58 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just skip the initial coat of plain Linseed oil.
That takes quite a while to dry.,,if ever.

TruOil is just a Linseed Oil based Varnish anyway. It has driers in it along with
(Likely) synthetic resins that make it a varnish rather than just an oil. so it has something to fill the surface pores

Personally I've never liked the stuff as it never dried well. I gave up on it decades ago. Linspeed also.
But for some reason others have good luck with them.
The stuff I had only dried in the orig containers.

I'd wipe the surface down with mineral spirits , let it dry a week , bloc sand it with 800 or 1000 grit to even it back up. Then go back to building up the finish with what ever you think will dry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.