April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Hammergun, fallschirmjaeger, Researcher, SKB, 1 invisible), 885 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why bacon? To me, wrapping delicately flavored game with bacon is like creating a hot dog. Ruffs should be eaten cooked just done, along with complementary side dishes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Think about your favorite style of bacon.
Grilled bacon is just one way of dozens that make you smile.

You can’t go wrong wrapping a piece of grouse in bacon.

But if you don’t like grilled bacon, then what?

And if someone suggests that Brussels sprouts and ruffed grouse can be combined gastronomically, I will petition the court for their mental health evaluation.

Out there doing it best I can.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Has anyone tried wet ageing tough game birds, say breasts of old pheasants, sharptails, or geese?
Friends say it does wonders with venison and other big game cuts and is a standard value-added commercial practice with beef. I've never tried it as I didn't want to tie up space in my refrigerator for 30-60 days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Old pheasants make great bratwurst.
Breasts, wings, thighs.
Smoke the carcass, boil them down. Pick the meat, strain the broth, discard the rest.

99% of the public only want the crown.
Kind of a waste publishing decades of recipes that will never get made. Not worth the work.
Real ruffed grouse Marsala over fresh linguini.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have just read about cooking badger in an old German hunting magazine. It said to skin it then leave it in a fast running stream for five days before cooking it. Hm!!!

Last edited by bavarianbrit; 12/25/21 11:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bavarianbrit
I have just read about cooking badger in an old German hunting magazine. It said to skin it then leave it in a fast running stream for five days before cooking it. Hm!!!

I’d have to be really hungry to consider tangling with, skinning, and eating a badger.

Hungrier than I’ve ever been, I’m going to guess.

Bet you have to wrap his ass with a bunch of bacon.....

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Badgers of any kind have my respect. There's a video, going around recently, taken of a honey badger that is wrapped in the coils of a 9 ft. python. The constrictor is slowly tightening the wraps on the badger, but he continues to struggle to get free, which he does. Then, instead of running off he attacks the python and kills it. As he is doing so two jackals try to move in and steal the meal from the badger. No dice. The badger runs off both jackals, then drags the python into the brush.

Predators so adeptly equipped as the raptors and badgers will be given a pass on my gastronomic bucket list. I did know a man who claimed to have eaten a hawk. When I asked him how it tasted he replied wryly, "Most like an owl."

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

treat grouse like chicken...yum yum...happy new year to awl...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ever been to a big wild 'game' feed at a sportsman's club? I went to one in Mandan years ago with 27 kinds of meat on the menu. Everything from mountain lion to prairie dog and rattlesnake to snapping turtle. All were
quite edible although I found the porcupine required a few extra shots of whiskey to help cut the grease.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love wild game suppers at Southern churches. The only Canada goose I ever tried and actually enjoyed was at one at a church in Princeton, KY.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.