April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Roundsworth, SKB, Jerry G, battle, J.B.Patton, 1 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,434
Posts544,720
Members14,402
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#608126 12/20/21 02:59 PM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What type of accessories do you guys like to put in your cases? I think it adds to the experience to have proper accessories

Mike Proctor
PALUNC #608127 12/20/21 03:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

It really depends on the situation, For a show Turn screws, cleaning rods and the rod fittings, main spring clamp, brass grease pot, brass oil pot, two replacement strikers in a horn pot.pull through, barrel hand protector, cloth for drying the gun off. If it comes to Vintage re loading fittings another five or six items. Though on this side of the pond a lot of people remove case tools when selling the gun, because you can get a lot more cash by selling the tools separately on e bay.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
PALUNC #608145 12/21/21 08:59 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oil can, snap caps, striker pot, turn screws, fitted; cloth, jag, brush et al., in a compartment, and rod fitted under barrels.

Last edited by susjwp; 12/21/21 09:01 AM.
PALUNC #608165 12/21/21 03:02 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What really makes me really squirm is snapcaps in a hammergun case!

2 members like this: greener4me, Hammergun
PALUNC #608169 12/21/21 06:47 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The only cased double gun I have, with accessories, is a Perazzi MX8. Since there were no qualifications ........ my accessories are: Allen wrenches for the GraCoil, a long, homemade, 5 mm Allen wrench for the drawbolt, an extra trigger group, a Giuliani spring and firing pin kit, a screwdriver for specific buttstock screws, a syringe containing a thin grease, and a small Ziploc bag containing a rag saturated with Ballistol for after shooting wipe downs.

Not much to look at I'm afraid, but it is all in a nice Negrini case, thanks to John Boyd. When those items help to keep me up and running at a shoot it indeed "adds to the experience". No big secret, I'm a pragmatist when it comes to shotgunning.

My vintage doubles reside in leg o' muttons, with no place for accessories.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Toby Barclay

Forgive my lack of knowledge on something that is probably clear to others here, but why?

Perry M. Kissam
NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’d guess that it’s because when the hammers are down the mainspring of the action is eased ie not under tension so snap caps serve no purpose for a hammer gun other than perhaps dry firing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam
Originally Posted by Toby Barclay

Forgive my lack of knowledge on something that is probably clear to others here, but why?

It's because there is no need to dry fire a hammergun to uncock the hammers. You simply hold back the hammer ear, then pull the trigger to disengage the sear, and slowly let the hammer down. You can do this one hammer at a time, or both at once if dexterous enough. Of course, great caution must be exercised if you uncock the hammers with live shells in the chambers, such as while hunting. If the hammer slips from under your thumb, it can fall with enough force to fire the gun.

There are also some hammerless doubles that can be uncocked without dry firing or utilizing snap caps, such as the Syracuse Lefever. You simply hold the gun fully opened to put tension on the cocking lever, pull both triggers as you move the safety to off position, and close the gun. The internal hammers are gently lowered without any risk of dry firing damage to the firing pins, and the mainspring tension is released.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

PALUNC #608187 12/22/21 07:35 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby you did ask me why I had a set of snap caps in this case? I did say that I used the same case for transporting other guns and left it at that, though now reading tour post I feel I should elaborate on my first answer.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Using a gun like the above at local clubs and shoots I find that the number of folks who are interested in why I shoot a hammer gun and the guns name and age does provoke that "do you mind if I can see what it is like to mount it" now not wish to to be a cantankerous old git I will always hand over the gun. Now a lot of these folks this is the first time they have been close to a gun that does not have barrels one on top of the other hammers that have to be cocked it is all new to them.Quite a number of years in my past I had a rather nice Gibbs hammer gun same can I hold scenario but this time quick as a flash one hammer cocked and trigger pulled, the hammers where beautiful fine and slim within a blink of an eye the gun was dry fired and the top half of the hammer went for an expensive flight of its own never to be found.
Today I keep this formula in mind when the can I hold it is said, "Expensive gun + the un knowledgeable + dry firing is a disaster waiting to happen. Because of this expensive lesson all my gun cases have snap caps on board. Though Toby I am very surprised you have never had this situation happen to your good self. So given the same situation I always put two snap caps in the gun "once bitten twice shy"

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
PALUNC #608197 12/22/21 11:19 AM
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would think snap caps in a hammer gun case would be needed if one wanted to dry fire the gun. Am I wrong to think this?

Mike Proctor
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.