March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 888 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

If James Flynn is still taking work on, he might be a good option.

Most of the guys who I consider good are getting old enough to be retired or semi-retired.

It is a problem.

Good luck, at any rate.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

why are you guys making this so obtuse...

just tell us your favorite doublegon smith and provide contact info...

gunther pfrommer has always done good work for me...

https://www.guntrustdepot.com/FFL-Dealers/ViewDealer?id=10818

Last edited by ed good; 12/18/21 03:35 PM.

keep it simple and keep it safe...
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Because edd ,a lot of gunsmith will do work for existing customers but are not taking on new customers work and ask not to be recommended so not to be bothered .

Sidelock
Sidelock

This discussion has migrated a bit and it brings to mind to me that we are seeing a significant change in the work force in this country, and this change is across the the spectrum of labor and crafts it appears.

Mark's comment above about some gunsmith's not taking on new customers is one of these significant changes that we are seeing in America; not only with gunsmiths but with crafts such as the private automobile mechanic (now called a auto technician). When you telephone the auto shop of the father and son who keep my SUV going you receive a message that they are not taking on new customers.

Further, we see the shortage of labor in the general work force and we old timers are prone to think that the shortage is caused by those lazy 20 somethings who do not want to work, but free load off the government. However, just today the we have seen statistics from the national news that set our minds to thinking....... HERE IT IS BELOW:

"One of the more insidious myths making the rounds this year was that young people didn't want to work because they were getting by just fine on government aid. People had too much money, went the narrative from a handful of politicians and pundits. Only trouble is, the numbers don't back it up.

Here's the thing: Early retirement — whether forced by the pandemic or made possible otherwise — is having a huge impact on the labor market. And data show that retiring boomers, far more than "lazy" millennials, are the biggest force behind the labor shortage.

People have left the workforce for myriad reasons in the past two years. But among those who have left and are least likely to return, the vast majority are older Americans who accelerated their retirement.

Last month, there were 3.6 million more Americans who had left the labor force and said they didn't want a job compared with November 2019. A whopping 90% of them were over 55"

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT BUBBA? What was it that Pogo said about seeing the problem and it is US, or something like that? Of course, many of you are too young to even know who Pogo was.

Last edited by bushveld; 12/18/21 09:50 PM.
2 members like this: mc, BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by bushveld
.....Here's the thing: Early retirement — whether forced by the pandemic or made possible otherwise — is having a huge impact on the labor market. And data show that retiring boomers, far more than "lazy" millennials, are the biggest force behind the labor shortage.

People have left the workforce for myriad reasons in the past two years. But among those who have left and are least likely to return, the vast majority are older Americans who accelerated their retirement.

Last month, there were 3.6 million more Americans who had left the labor force and said they didn't want a job compared with November 2019. A whopping 90% of them were over 55"

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THAT BUBBA? What was it that Pogo said about seeing the problem and it is US, or something like that? Of course, many of you are too young to even know who Pogo was.

I have to agree with Ed here. If you know of a good double-gun gunsmith who is still active, then just go ahead with a recommendation. If your gunsmith is not taking on new customers, then don't bother. Pretty simple!

Those who think that having an 01 FFL, a business license, and a dedicated commercial shop are essential to quality gunsmithing obviously have not seen the work done by some of the extremely talented non-professionals who have shared work here.

We have some gunsmiths who are retired or nearing retirement. We have some who spend a lot of time posting Liberal dogma on forums rather than working on guns. And we still have new guys entering the trade. As always, the new crop will contain some real talented craftsmen... and some who should never be permitted to work on any gun.

I certainly do not buy the current Liberal Left spin that is blaming the current labor shortage on older people retiring early. From what I personally see, the uncertainties of inflation and supply chain problems are making people more reluctant to retire, and fearful that they might outlive their savings. 45% of people between age 55 and 65 have virtually no retirement savings, and cannot afford to simply quit. My employer has had great difficulty finding enough qualified applicants in the last couple years. I constantly hear stories from management about few applicants, applicants who have very thin resumes, highly exaggerated resumes, or otherwise qualified applicants who simply cannot pass a drug test.

One thing is certain in my mind. If an able-bodied person voluntarily chooses to leave the labor force, they should be ineligible for any Unemployment Compensation, Welfare, or other taxpayer provided government assistance. I worked right through the Covid19 Shut-Down, and thoroughly enjoyed driving to work at 90-95 mph with almost no other traffic on the roads, and cops ignoring speeding violations. We had roughly 2 million people illegally entering this country in 2021, most coming to find work. Those who complain about depressed wages should consider the effect of that.

If this is unsuitable content for this forum, then certainly the post I quoted from is too.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Double digit inflation will have them back in no time. I hope the guy is wrong (he usually isn’t) but, an economics guy I pay attention to is predicting:

$200 a barrel oil, next summer.
$12 for a pound of butter, next spring.
$9 for a loaf of bread, next spring.
$25 for a pound of hamburger, next spring.

But, hey, the mean tweets are all over....

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: mc, keith
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Double digit inflation will have them back in no time. I hope the guy is wrong (he usually isn’t) but, an economics guy I pay attention to is predicting:

$12 for a pound of butter, next spring.
$9 for a loaf of bread, next spring.
$25 for a pound of hamburger, next spring.

But, hey, the mean tweets are all over....

Best,
Ted

Want to put money on any of this????

Thought not.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

… an economics guy I pay attention to…

The head of the business department at the community college you take your forestry classes at?

Originally Posted by BrentD
Want to put money on any of this????

If the “economics guy” is “usually right” I’d be loading up on XOM and the Wisconsin Dairy Consortium.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have used Louis Rotelli several times and been highly satisfied. He is located in Connecticut. His phone number is 203 788 4920. He posts here from time to time as dblgnfix.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your “economics guy” is 6% in the hole today. Maybe he didn’t figure in Omicron and Manchin.

Is it Cramer?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.