March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Licensed to kill), 745 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,013
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#607517 12/06/21 04:23 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hello all,

A newcomer to the forum and double guns. I have an early Francotte Featherweight Grade I. Bob Beach was kind enough to look over photos and give me some history on the gun. But it is in need of some smithing. Barrels need put back on face, cocking dogs most likely need some material added, etc.

I've already reached out to Griffin & Howe, Vintage firearm Inc Gunsmiths, Whittman, and a few others I've found recommended by members of the forum. Most are not accepting new work. I then stumbled upon Bill Graham with "nice old doubles gunworks" through the Society of American Side by Sides group on Facebook. The work seems very high quality, and his quote came in at a significantly lower price point.

Does anyone have experience working with Bill? Or have seen his work? I'm not in a rush, and want it done right. And the quotes from the other smiths were not unreasonable per say, but with Bill I could potentially have a few cosmetic things addressed for the amount of money I want to put into the gun, not just getting the action taken care of.

Any other smiths that folks would recommend?

And if this thread should be in another category let me know/move it. I'm new to the forum and did my best to search before creating a duplicate thread. Thanks for the thoughts! Take care.
-Josiah

Last edited by Jethroat; 12/06/21 08:21 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know one gunsmurf I wouldn't recomend....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Philip's Gunsmithing in east TX is the best I ever used. He fixed a 21 that makes you gun sound simple, costs are reasonable, no cheap.
Call 210-313 - 5988

bill

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Marks born again bird guns.there is a guy in your neighbor hood but I'm not sure if he's taking anymore work.ask mark for recommendation.Steve Bertram in colorado

Last edited by mc; 12/06/21 10:29 PM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Does your gun have two cocking levers on the front of the action?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill is very good. He is just starting out which is why he is taking on more work .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure if he's taking on work but our own SKB (Steve Bertram) restored my Francotte to all it's glory, including replacing the hinge pin, rebuilding the inletting and refinishing, and a downright gorgeous covered pad.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
2 members like this: BrentD, Prof, Stanton Hillis
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by mc
Does your gun have two cocking levers on the front of the action?

Nope, it has one bearing surface on the forend that engages a centered cocking dog at the front of the receiver. That centered dog depresses both cocking levers simultaneously.

Photos of the gun can be seen here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/T1uh6s8ALwL49eJz9

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by mc
Marks born again bird guns.there is a guy in your neighbor hood but I'm not sure if he's taking anymore work.ask mark for recommendation.Steve Bertram in colorado

I'm familiar with Mark. I almost bought the T. Bland and sons underlever he's selling right now. I know he isn't taking on work, but I should give him a call to see who he recommends.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have the same model francotte it's built on the 1884 westly Richards patent make sure who ever you chose to work on it understands this model mine is a really great well made gun

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.