March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
rrrgcy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Never heard of these, but this video was posted on a machinist’s forum remarking on some of the machine equipment. I Ike the hint of horizontals since I have so many and ganged cutters myself. No glasses, and the tie probably just for the filming. Action invented by JK Kavanagh. Aimed for 40/wk production. See it described as a push down top lever twin side lug design via auction write up from 20 yrs ago. Internet gun club had some info “ The gun had a slide-forward breech opened by a push-down top lever which lifted a vertical locking bolt behind the breech face. As the breech opened, assisted by the mainsprings, fired cartridges were ejected with the assistance of a spring operated bar in the action bar. On closing the gun the locks were cocked, and the barrels slotted onto adjustable projections in the breech face the projection making the headspace adjustable (the only part of the gun to be patented). The barrels were fitted to a monoblock at the breech end, while variable chokes were screwed in at the other, full length side ribs were not fitted, a ventilated top rib was optional. The fore-end was fixed.”

Says their patented gun helped birth the first Irish proof house. Interesting to see the proofing at 6:26 - BOING!!

Courtesy Christie’s 6 Nov 2001 catalog, 6508, lot 174
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited by rrrgcy; 12/05/21 11:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before he went to Ireland he had a factory in the St.Paul’s district in Cheltenham and kept a chalked score on the inside of the factory door of the number of people (including myself) bitten by his terrier. Fortunately in those days I kept my jeans turned up at the ankle and the extra thickness of cloth saved me from any damage.

Another of his creations was a semi(?) automatic rifle in .250 Savage that came to my attention when he let it off in the underground.22 range at Cheltenham College. I didn’t get a chance to look at it closely but still remember the dust dislodged by the blast falling like rain from over the firing point.

From the calibre I suspect it may have been, like one of Bill Ruger’s early creations, a re-work of a Savage 99.

There was a recent TGS Outdoors YouTube video on his Fenian gun and David Baker did an article in DGJ about 15 years ago. Geoffrey Boothroyd had a chapter on him in his book on British Over and Under Shotguns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sad to say the gun is not a thing of beauty , and a joy for ever, though the inventiveness is second to none also I did like that scratch built stock duplicator also the scratch built horizontal stock boring set up for the stock bolt.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

There was a similar French gun, the “Super Charlin”, that cast about the same profile (ugly as homemade sin) built sometime between the wars. I don’t have a picture handy, and only handled one, and being honest, never need to handle another.

The narrator referred to the Irish gun as an “Over/Under”, surprising to me, most people in Europe seem to call them Under/Overs.

I noticed the tie also, and the ring on the finger. Wouldn’t fly at any workshop I was ever associated with.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Found a picture, of the French version. Yuk:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

In volume 3 of the British Shotgun by David Baker,pages 127-132. David provides a detailed review of the of the Kavanagh shotgun including a personal profile of Mr James Kavanagh..I was able to provide input to this article and can confirm that in later years of production the gun was made in England.

Roy Hebbes
rrrgcy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Roy, haven’t a copy of D. Baker’s book, does it lockup assisted with those U-shaped grooves on the sides of the frame/arms? Somewhere forward under the monoblock?

Surprised late 60's the geared headstock lathes (Colchester's?) w loose long sleeves, rings, ties - what can go wrong. No glasses neither at the surface grinder (always possible an eject could bounce off the L-shield and deflect off the grinder into the operator- BOOM! always sounds like a shotgun going off when it happens). All that's missing are gloves.

Parabola - can you share anything more about your intersection w the firm/factory?
Very "wedge-y" stock head. Looking at the images of the fully open action, I imagine myself in the field and inserting cartridges into the maw of that piece. Visions of my time of squad machine gun loading dance in my head. That said, all closed up the back half carries a bit of a classic Martini look - Interesting nonetheless.

Last edited by rrrgcy; 12/06/21 07:23 PM.
rrrgcy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

(From Pamphilon of Bedford, Kempston GB:)
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

rrrgcy Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Perhaps not new for the forum, a Birmingham offered by Holt’s Sept 2021, sold for $565 USD equivalent.

Last edited by rrrgcy; 12/06/21 07:24 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sadly I don’t recollect a great deal of the Cheltenham factory. I was probably keeping one eye on his dog and didn’t make any intelligent observations of the machinery.

As I heard it he departed somewhat suddenly to Ireland “lock stock and barrel” so the equipment in the Irish video is almost certainly what he was running in Cheltenham.

Whilst the TGS/Holts video refers to their example as a Birmingham made gun, and it would certainly have been Proofed in Birmingham the Fenian production guns, pre-Ireland, were as far as I know made in Cheltenham. He did have an earlier address in Tewksbury just a few miles up the road, but that appears on a different and earlier design.

When he departed Ireland for Cornwall he came into collision with Devon and Cornwall Police and it seems unlikely any further guns were produced other that the 2 Davis built prototypes (to a different design) illustrated by David Baker.

The locking on the Fenian is the inverted U shaped piece cammed up by the top lever being depressed and dropping down into the slots in the breech extensions.

I did see and handle the Tungum barrelled Fenian, which I think was built to demonstrate the strength of a local company’s tubing. That ended up in the hands of one of his engineers, I believe in lieu of unpaid wages.

The French Charlin design, whilst almost as ugly, looks to be an over and under version of the Darne.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.