April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hal M Hare, CJ Dawe, SKB), 1,011 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#607021 11/25/21 02:07 PM
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For both deer and elk today. Loading my old truck, packing my rifle, ammo, cloths (& old guy meds) and pointing the nose of it north and west. Going over Rabbit Ears tonight in the dark. Snowed here a bit yesterday and it's decidedly cooler. Hunting sure beats listening to the news. Not sure when I'm coming home and....I rather like that. Driving tonight after a turkey dinner will be interesting.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Drive safe Lloyd and good luck filling the freezer.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Steve. Sure enjoyed your photos of your bird hunt this year.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a safe trip, Lloyd. You on your own? That is getting to be a fight with the Missus, she wants me with someone. Almost everybody has aged out, or, died. The kid much prefers clay games to birds, and usually begs off.

So, it ends up just Louie, and me. I try to keep it to day trips, to avoid conflict.

Good luck, by the way.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Safe trip, Lloyd. I'm biding my time until I can strike out and do some hunting, other than a dove shoot now and then. Got about a week and a half of cotton picking to go before that. First road trip will be for ducks on the L "Anguille R. in Arkansas.

Don't forget pics!

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Headed to Yuma tomorrow morning for doves. Group used be be about a dozen men and kids. Now there are just two of us.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Replacement
Headed to Yuma tomorrow morning for doves. Group used be be about a dozen men and kids. Now there are just two of us.

Drive safe. Can totally relate to the diminishing numbers.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

bein old sucks...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have a great trip Lloyd, aging out is dreaded. I'm looking forward to some December Grouse hunts until the end of the tear.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

There are often medical reasons why one cannot continue on in pursuit of outdoor activities as when younger. But, I see so many men that retire and waste away. They become couch potatoes, eat their way into obesity, and before you know it they're walking with a cane, or worse a walker, then their obituary is published. This cannot always be forestalled, but I believe continuing to push yourself to stay active outside, even work, prolongs useful life.

My local "hero" is a fellow deacon's father. He farmed most of his adult life, and turned the logistics of the farming operation over to his two sons when he was in his 70s. Now, at 92 yrs. of age, he gets up before day every morning, this time of year, and goes to the cotton field where he cleans the heads on the 6 row roller/cotton picker his son drives all day. His son told me last Sunday that one day the previous week his father had to wait at the picker for it to get light enough to work. Cleaning the heads is a menial, but important task that requires manual dexterity and toughness, and includes inspecting the heads for missing or broken spindles, pads, doffers, etc. each day. When it's below freezing the moistener pads have wet, frozen lint on them that must be pulled off, and it's a cold, tough job on your hands. Yet, Mr. Ray forges ahead at 92. After that job is completed he takes lunch orders from all the farm hands and family, then goes to town and picks up everyone's take-out plates and drinks, and delivers them. To be honest, he has no hobbies and his work is one of his biggest pleasures in life.

My son and I were with our accountant recently doing some end of the year tax planning. She asked me if I had any plans on retiring from farming soon. My son just rolled his eyes and laughed. I simply said "No". I could shoot doves way more, travel to hunt ducks way more, and hunt quail here and and in the Southwest more if I quit work. But, how long would I be able to do that if I quit pushing myself to work? I dunno.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.