March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret), 822 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glocks or other "plastic pistols" do NOT figure in my scope of gun-smithing work. In the past, Brad has: (1) built a older GH 12 No. 2 frame receiver that had been converted from an extractor gun to an ejector by a Minn. Gunsmith ageas ago- fitted it to a pg buttstock with Pachmayr red pad, and a set of 28" Vulcan steel ejector barrels and forearm. This was written up and pictured in Parker Pages about 10-11 years ago- I still have this "orphaned Parker GHE 12-and use it for preserve pheasants, along with a 1940 M21 12 gauge 28" barrels, SST, EJ field grade gun I inherited from my late Father- I could, I should guess, shoot them as a composed pair should I ever end up on a Grouse Moor as a guest of The Duke of Earl-- Brad also fitted a set of 30" 12 gauge ejector barrels to a 12 gauge Smith Grade 4e- which I still own. He also converted a 1929 Ideal 12 LONGRANGE from a SST to a double trigger set-up--all wor k was, and still is, flawless.

Insofar as handguns are concerned, I own a shoot 4 older Colts- a Python .357 and a Police Positive .38 "snubbie" and 2 pre-WW11 Woodsmen .22's- all are "Steinways" and have never failed to function- I have zerointerest in modern "plastic pistols' nor ever will, so you point about being a master gunsmith who specializes in handguns-- the late Armand Swenson and Bob Chow from CA come to mind--I cannot speak to that point, well taken as it may be-- RWTF

Last edited by Run With The Fox; 11/24/21 01:58 PM. Reason: zip interest

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

RWTF, I think CZ's point was in regard to Brad's son Carson, not Brad. Doesn't really matter now how good Brad was. He won't be doing the work.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bachelder employs a number of tradesman some specializing in vintage guns and some modern. It’s not like it’s just Carson and Lori.

I’ve had work done at Bachelder’s before and after Brad passed and I have not been disappointed.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by claycrusher1900
Originally Posted by Karl Graebner
I've been very satisfied with Del Whitman's work, located in Traverse City. He started his career working for Rigby I believe. Others I know who have used him have been happy as well.
Karl

Karl, doesn't Del focus on wood work? I've heard much good about his stocking, and seen his work. But I'm primarily needing a single selective trigger made reliable

Del’s metal work is flawless, his engraving is spectacular and he has experience making parts for guns from Purdey, Boss, Holland, etc.

Around the steel no tortured worm shall twine.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Claycrusher,
Del repaired a single trigger on a Holland for Eis, and it was very well done. He did some work on my Churchill and I was very pleased. I consider him a classically trained fine gunsmith and wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.
Karl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ooops- omitted Jeff and Brad's younger son, Parker--I believe, but am not 100% sure that Vintage Firearms head gunsmith is Kevin Duchene, former gunsmith with the now "gone with the wind" Gander Mountain operation in Grand Rapids. FWIWIP-- back in the day when Cabela's (pre-Bass-Ackwards-Blow Shop era) and Ganer Mt. were competitors in the pre-owned high end firearms market- Gander had one advantage in that market- ALL of their used firearms came with a one year warranty- and they all were checked over and test fired before put out on the racks for sale. Cabela's did NOT do this--apparently didn't think it was important-- oh well--- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So it sounds like all three places are capable and have done excellent work for people on here.... wow, it's nice to see options and several local craftsmen! I'll probably call them next week and see if it's a job they are willing/want to take on. I've read on here that SST's can be a challenge

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Phillip's gunsmithing in East Texas is the best general gunsmith and Very Best trigger man I have run into in 50 years of looking!
Call 210 313 5988. He builds a release trigger of great merit but more important he understands triggers.

bill

2 members like this: NCTarheel, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As a follow up, 9.5 months later I got my Cashmore back, untouched. I had gotten quite a few different answers over the phone calls during that time, talked to Parker today and he never did anything with it. He said he is stepping back from gunsmithing, so plan to use a different gunsmith if you need work done!

And now back to square one frown

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Claycrusher,
Del Whitman did some work on a trouble prone single trigger for Eis on a Holland or Boss, and it was perfect. I know that Eis had Brad's son do some work on a Parker that seemed to take forever, and he won't go back. Del has never failed either of us.
Karl

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.