March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (fullandfuller, Lloyd3, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 305 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by halifax
Nice photos and such big birds. Those are 2 inch shells. Is the gun a 2", 12 bore?

For the first time passing through Bozeman last fall, I stopped into Hill n Rod. My knees were shaking but I left without spending any money. Nice gun store which I suppose you have visited many times.

Charlie is a national treasure. I bet he isn’t what you thought you would see when you walked into his shop.

The poster on his door with the pictures of his bench and John Browning’s bench, I made for him as he reminds me of the old world craftsman that still uses hand tools and doesn’t put them away.

I visit once in awhile, but have to limit those visits because he doesn’t get anything done when I’m there talking to him. He is an extremely intelligent guy and overloaded with talent. He made a lever return spring for my Webley shotgun, completely from flat spring steel.

I would recommend anyone visiting Bozeman to stop by and see his shop and selection of beautiful SXS’s.

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great stuff, Shrapnel. Thanks for posting. I've never heard of the Burgess. What a neat design.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have several different Burgess guns. This is a Burgess folding shotgun, designed for Law Enforcement purpose. It still works great on turkeys and grouse...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is, listening to Texans..John Steinbeck
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I believe Burgess had two variations on their takedown mechanism, the folding one being the latter. But even here you can see the similarities to the Stevens takedown. As far as Blues being better than Ruffies....I beg to differ. Blues are indeed the other white-meat birds, but... in my experience they are not as delicate as the ruffed. Their meat is much firmer (and their diet has more grains in it). Ruffed grouse breast meat is almost translucent by comparison and the flavor is very subtle. Now, perhaps when I was pursuing Blues my culinary skills weren't yet up to snuff so I may not be giving them their fair due (?).

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/23/21 02:17 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have killed hundreds of grouse, and have pictures of a few. I will take a blue grouse over a ruffed grouse every day, but never turn either down. The guys that like pheasants, don't know what a really good bird is...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll take your word for it, shrapnel, having never had the opportunity to try grouse of any ilk. However, they've got to go some to beat wild bobwhite in taste.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blues are reverse migrators. The big males can be a bit chewy. Late season, even a whiff of pine.

The young of the year are like giant ruffed grouse. And if they have been on berries all season long, surpass ruffed grouse for flavor.

They bring a little more flavor to a Marsala or Piccata than a ruffie.

Love the Burgess shotgun.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

"They bring a little more flavor to a Marsala or Piccata than a ruffie." CZ your menu idea is a favorite for pheasants, too. Love capers in about anything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What can I say, I like my meat, meaty.
I don’t like to make a wonderful recipe, and then have the meat portion just taste like boiled chicken.

Now a smoked pheasant, That makes a fine pot of pea soup.
Or chunked on crackers at the tailgate.

Blues get the knod for me, because they’re just bigger than a ruffed grouse.

Processing deer this week, sausages on the horizon.
It’s the season.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Tis the season indeed....pheasant was mentioned earlier and it was inferred to be somewhat inferior tablefare to the ruffies and blues. If, however, they are properly prepared by incorporating a specific ageing regimen (about 100 hours works well for me, at ~40 degrees) and then properly brined, they can be quite satisfactory as well. Smoked sounds darn fine too.

Also, what the blazes is that box fed AK clone? A Cambodian trap gun in .410?

Last edited by Lloyd3; 11/24/21 05:57 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.