April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Steve Nash, bbman3, Ian Forrester), 963 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,109
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#606523 11/19/21 05:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone know if the "1D1" on the lower tang and the under rib is the model number of this 12ga Belmont Interchangeable Hammerless?

Is the 162 (inverted) on the under rib the serial number?

img]https://i.imgur.com/m5VjUMN.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It has an "E" added to the 1D1 on the lower tang. Grade perhaps?

Both of the 30" "4 Iron British Best" (thanks, Drew) damascus barrels have the same proof mark and the number 4 on them.

Sorry I can't post pictures of the barrel flats and the water table. This gun is locked up from having suffered both tragedy and travesty (a fire and then later in life nearly a year left out in the elements.)

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bonehill certainly had a system for marking his grades and variations of the Belmont Interchangeable hammerless gun on the trigger guard tang with a 4 or 5 digit alphabetical/numerical code.

A recent one at Holt’s is shown as IBIEH (1B1EH?).

It seems that they were all the same basic gun (with or without ejectors?). The one piece “patent clip lump” appears to extend forward to incorporate the rear under-rib and barrel loop for the forend.

He made it in 4 grades, but the main difference between grades appears to be in finish and engraving style but with the same underlying sound materials and engineering quality.

The grades either went up from 1 to 4 or A to D. From the engraving on the one at Holts I would guess second (B?) grade.

If anyone has a Bonehill catalogue they may be able to provide the definitive answer?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It does indeed have the clip lump design under Bonehill's 1884 patent.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yours has nicely chiselled fences, and I take it from the code it is a D grade.

It is more ornate than the one offered by Holts which from it’s code is presumably a B grade.

There is very nice one offered online by CP Outfitters. They describe it as Grade 4, but I suspect from the very high quality finish it may well be a special order with extra finish and engraving.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is one at Southams earlier this year, with plain fences and minimal engraving. It is marked 1A1EH on the trigger guard tang.

It is a non-ejector.

It is clearly their lowest grade, and so the evidence points to the second digit A to D denoting the grade and A Grade being at the cheapest end of the scale.

I suspect that the 1 may not mean very much, if anything.

Despite being the. lowest grade the barrels are still marked “Finest Damascus”

Last edited by Parabola; 11/20/21 06:36 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I believe you’re right, Pb. I’ve seen a photo somewhere of a Belmont with basic engraving and labeled 1B1E on the trigger tang.

I’ve also seen Belmont Damascus barrels labeled “Fine”, “Extra Fine” (this particular gun) and “Finest”.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another view of the from Southams with 1A1EH engraved on the tang.

And this is the one at Holts (their photo) marked 1B1EH, which has more engraving .

The H might stand for hammerless as he also made an Interchangeable hammer gun.

Could the E stand for Engraved. The obvious Ejector does not apply to the Southams gun as it is a non ejector.

The 1 and 1, do not seem to alter but might be to allow for indicating a special order feature although Bonehill’s business model seems to have been based like Henry (“any colour you want as long as it is black”) Ford in that he offered a limited number of options at fixed prices.

Has anyone seen one with 2 (or more) in the code?

Anyone out there with a Bonehill catalogue that might make everything clear please?

Last edited by Parabola; 11/21/21 07:44 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Autumn 2021 DGJ arrived today, and the first article I read was the excellent “A Bonehill with Bona Fides” by John Campbell II.

He speculates on the marking 7A134 stamped on the action flat.

I believe that this is a variation on Bonehill’s model and grade code dealing with special Order features.

I notice that the ball fences are slightly proud of the breech ends, and are chamfered down to meet them.

This makes me wonder if Bonehill used the same action forging for 20 bores and 12 bores, perhaps filing down the ball fences and action sides to reduce bulk.

John, if you follow this forum perhaps you could let us know the width of the action body from side to side across the action flats and from the outer edges of the ball fences so they can be compared to the same dimensions on a 12 bore Belmont action?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Found for sale this reprint of a 1900 Belmont Interchangeable catalog which I’ve passed on to the local gentleman who owns this gun.
I was able to confirm that their grades ran A-D with D being the highest.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/914551436

Anyone happen to have a copy they could reference?

Speude Bradeos

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.