Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Saskbooknut
I'm curious about the problem that you encountered with the SG16 wad, because I have found it to be excellent in straight walled hulls.
Claybuster 16 gauge wads have the smallest diameter skirt, which leads to powder migration and bloopers, in cartridges carried around in the field.
It's hard to find a straight willow on the Prairie, when you have a stuck wad, a long way from the vehicle.

There's an easy solution for stuck wads in a situation like that, a "wad knocker". Range shooters carry them all the time. It's just a piece of brass rod about three/four inches long and less than bore diameter. Your drop it down the bore and it "knocks" the stuck wad out the other end. Mine doubles as a handle for a chamber brush.

http://www.comp-n-choke.com/product/TorBrsh.html

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Saskbooknut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by DoubleTake
Larry, those black Remington hulls do get crispy, but for recreational targets as long as they hold the shot in place I'm good. They get ugly, but I've gotten 5 to 10 loadings on many of them. A split or two is no problem. I just shake my head when I hear of someone tossing them after one case-mouth split. I've got large tub of the green Remingtons 16 gauge hulls I'm going to start on this winter.

DT, I'm with you. I don't pitch them after one use. I seldom use reloads when hunting anyhow. They're all for breaking targets, mostly non-competitive skeet. As far as that goes, the Herters (Cheddite) hulls aren't that great either.

It's a better world these days for 16ga reloaders--or at least it is when you can find the components you need. But other than a really good, reloadable hull, everything we need to reload 7/8 oz without filler is out there.

Last edited by L. Brown; 11/15/21 08:34 AM.
oskar #606273 11/15/21 08:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by oskar
I've abandoned loading 16ga 2 3/4 and just load 2 1/2" now that way I never have to mate the proper length shell to the shotgun, they all shoot 2 1/2" fine. Cheddite hulls SG-16-s wads, 7/8oz 8s and Greendot.

I've gone the other direction. Got back into 16ga reloading more seriously when Cabela's started selling the Herters shells and I found the right wad (DR-16) to use in them. More recently started reloading the black Rems. I know a lot of guys who reload 2 1/2", but I've always stuck with 2 3/4". Great to be able to do that without using filler. I've been reloading mostly the black Rems with the CB wad since the DR's have gotten hard to come by.

Last edited by L. Brown; 11/15/21 08:42 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the reminder Stan.
The wad knocker is the solution to a stuck wad, but only if it is always in your upland vest.
The real solution to bloopers is carefully crafted hand loads, using the correct wad for the case, and avoiding loads at the lowest pressure level, which might misfire on a frosty morning.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.