March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ken Nelson, SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner), 875 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Nitrah Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

has driven me back into reloading. I shoot almost exclusively light 7/8 oz loads in old 12 ga sxs. The only primer I could find was the Cheddite and the hull I chose was the Rem Gun
Club hull. It takes an extreme amount of pressure to seat this primer. I used to use W209 primers and don't recall this being an issue.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

They will seat easier the second time.

New Remington hulls have tight primer pockets.

Trick: Condition the hulls first by seating fired WW209 primers, then the Fiocchi and Cheddite primers will seat easier.

Pal of mine actually has obtained the correct size drill bit and reams the pockets of once fired Remington hulls.

I don't

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

For light/low pressure/economical shooting, obtain Claybuster #CB0175-12. The enclosed loading sheet includes 46 loads suitable for Gun Club hulls, including 12 with Ched #209's. I use these for most of my clay target shooting.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

How much longer can a company like RST hold out with no supplies available to produce its products. It’s unbelievable.
Who would’ve EVER thought that finding good primers and powder would get this difficult. Dark days.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BPI had Cheddite primers in this week for just a day or so. $36.69/1,000, 5,000 limit. They go fast so most reloaders buy them as fast at they can, when they find them. Powder is very spotty these days and you need to be very flexible in what you reload. I have the least amount of factory loads on hand in the last 40 years. Less than 30 boxes across six gauges. My reloaded ammo is sitting at about 350 boxes and I am still adding to it. When you take a four people shooting Sporting Clays, you can burn up a lot of ammo in a hurry. I have lent so many friends stuff to reload my peg board which I put the IOUs on for stuff looks like a post it note convention. The only thing I am getting short on is shot and I understand it is about to take a major price hike. Imagine that, inflation. Been 40-45 here but was told it was going up past 50 with the next shipment. Lead is $2,429/ton right now so call it $1.25/pound before dropping, bagging and shipping. Local dealer has been trying to get another shipment for almost two months so far.

Boss Ammo has been able to produce a fair number of 12 shells but has given up on making any 10's this year. Mostly they have been making 2 3/4" shells because the 3" shells have been impossible to get to load. You load and sell what you can in their position.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Mec reloaders [ 600, 650, Grabber, and 9000H ] and have never had a problem seating primers in Remington hulls except for the 28ga hulls. In the 28 the plasic goes over the brass primer pocket and the Remington primer is a tad shorter with a radius on the end. It would fit the Remington hull but other primers wouldn't. A drill run up through the hull removing some plastic would fix the problem. But I never had a problem seating a primer in a 12 or 20ga Remington hull. At one time reloading for myself, wife, daughter, and grand daughter I must have used 30,000 Cheddite primers a year in Remington hulls with normal pressure to seat a primer. I wonder why you're having a problem ?

Last edited by Paul Harm; 11/01/21 10:45 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Nitrah
has driven me back into reloading. I shoot almost exclusively light 7/8 oz loads in old 12 ga sxs. The only primer I could find was the Cheddite and the hull I chose was the Rem Gun
Club hull. It takes an extreme amount of pressure to seat this primer. I used to use W209 primers and don't recall this being an issue.

You have a double whammy going on. Gun Club hulls are steel base and harder to resize and take more force than STS\Nitro 27 brass washed base hulls. I have thousands of 20 ga. GC hulls but will not use them until I totally use up my old 20 ga. AACF hulls. Which will likely be never considering how many I have yet.

The Cheddite primers in Remington hulls even STS and N27 take more force to seat the first time than W209 primers. My 12 ga. MEC 9000 is attached to one of Ben's first automates, made before he sold the patent to MEC and it became the 9000E. It has well North of 100K rounds though it and is worn, I should send it in for a rebuild if I ever stop using it. Cheddite primers would not always seat fully when I first switched to them, run your finger nail across the base and make sure they are fully seated.

I called MEC about it and they said to install a second clamp on the reprime tube to hold it securely in place. And replace the 1" spacer on top of the spring with a half inch spacer that they sell to make room for the second clamp.

He told me ALL MEC presses leaving the factory since January of this year come this way. He cited 2 reasons. The increase in use of foreign primers and increase in use of steel base hulls.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.