March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Licensed to kill, bigblock, Der Ami, JDH, Jtplumb, 1 invisible), 361 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Sidelock

What Maissonial do you have?

In the 1950’s the Maisonnial catalog only had 8 entries. One found between the ranges of models A and G, two traditional extractor SxS. The first had an action while the second received a simple entaillage. The two arms were case colored wih a “thorn engraving” (un gravure en pointes d’epine) on the circumference of the receiver.

Then came numbers 5 and 6, two ejector SxS’s with a straight (something - entaillage droit) for the first and a double entaillage for the second. The two guns were case colored and had “chiseled shells with a motif of olive leaves.” The 5 received thorn point engraving, the 6 a beautiful english rose bouquet ornamentation,

The Number 7 is the higest range of Anson & Deeley with false side plates and false pins. The engraving is English rose bouquet with a large central rossette and four tracks (areas without engraving) in the form of a cross.

The Number 8 is the rarest and the most prized of Maisonnial guns, the model with true Holland & Holland side locks, with “Maisonnial window,” of a particularly neat and fine fabrication. The engraving is composed of three rosettes, two on the body of the “Plaintes” and one on the finest part under each barrel.

To these six SxS guns one adds two over/unders, a model with simple entaillage and a false body (false side plate) which takes the engraving of the Number 7 false-body SxS and false side-plate pins. The two guns have a three piece forearm.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/04/21 12:09 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very interesting. I wonder if there are significant differences in the action procured from the three different suppliers, especially in the lower grades?
When I say that action is ubiquitous in France and Belgium, I mean it. Every gunseller in every town has a few nearly identical guns in the used rack, waiting for a new owner. 12s and 16s,usually, Demi-pistolet and superb little bird guns. Totally makes sense from the number of guns I saw that there would be more than one supplier.

The ad that points out the barrels available with or without a rib is a new one on me. Love to see a ribless French gun, not counting a Breton.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Words giving me trouble: Will add them to the below when confirmed:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=480959

rosaces - rosettes? - engraving term
ciselures sur les coquille - chiseled shell motif? - engraving term
coquilles ciselures - chiseled shell motif - engraving term
l’anglaise bouquet - English rose? - engraving term
un gravure en pointes d’epinee - thorn point engraving?
relime soignee avec filets - not sure...but think it's an engraving term

faux axes de platines - false side-plate pins?
faux-corps - false side plates? i.e. contra-platines?
les corps de platines - side plates?
entaillage – notching - inletting?
un entaillage droit - straight inletting?
a bascule entaillee - ?? Action something or other
double entaillage - ??
le pourtour de la bascule - the something of the action

Last edited by Argo44; 11/04/21 12:11 AM.

DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Argo, thank you so very much for translating the article! It has great information about Maisonnial. It’s really fascinating to me that this gun, which was not mass produced or marketed for the US, somehow made its way to Ohio and into my possession. I would assume it was brought back by a US service member after the war. I did shoot the gun at clays and it functioned perfectly and was a pleasure to shoot. The gun is probably approaching 100 years old and still is functional! A true testament to the maker!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Entaillage; Entaillage droit; bascule entaillée; double entaillage; chien-exter-entaillage? (inletting; straight inletting, action inletted, double inletting; external hammer inletting????)). WTF?

Trying to figure out what this is. And you guys who know more about shotguns than I do must be able to recognize this. It has to do apparently with the interaction of the action with the stock...and I'm inclined to translate it as "inletting" but am not at all sure. Here is a Passionlachasse entry:

L’entaillage consiste à modifier la pente et/ou le dévers par usinage de la crosse au droit de l’interface crosse/bascule en modifiant les portées.
Cette méthode exige une grande maîtrise et ne peut être mise en oeuvre que par un vrai professionnel car justement, il faut que le bois porte parfaitement afin de bien répartir les efforts générés par le recul.
Si le job n’est pas fait parfaitement, alors le risque de prise de jeu et de fissuration du bois est réel.
Le principal avantage, par rapport à la mise sous presse à l’huile chaude, c’est la pérennité de la correction car le bois déformé à chaud a tendance à reprendre sa forme initiale.
Par ailleurs, les crosses avec tirant traversant ne permettent pas toujours la correction nécessaire, à cause justement du tirant.
Tout dépend aussi de la valeur de la correction à apporter.
En conclusion, pour moi, j’opterai plus pour l’entaillage bien réalisé par un pro, pas un marchand de saucisses….
8)

Searching Naturabuy.fr, here is a visual reference:
xhttps://www.naturabuy.fr/CROSSE-PISTOLET-POUR-FUSIL-A-PLATINE-CHIENS-EXTER-ENTAILLAGE-MeCANISES-A-FINIR--item-6738839.html
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

suggestions?

Last edited by Argo44; 11/04/21 10:39 PM.

DaveB Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Argo, I did a google translate on the Passionlachasse entry. If the translation is correct, it appears they are discussing changing the DAC and DAH on a stock by changing the angle of the stock where it meets the action. They are achieving this by removing wood in that area. I guess inletting the stock could be the correct term. They are saying that they prefer to do this instead of bending the stock because it is more permanent and doesn’t have a chance to move back, but they say it needs to be done by a pro or you could have some real problems.

Last edited by DaveB; 11/05/21 08:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

url=https://goopics.net/i/gyloca][Linked Image from i.goopics.net][/url]

Salut Argo,

À gauche, une bascule avec entaillage (celui-ci peut être simple ou double).
À droite, une bascule sans entaillage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene,
An example or two of “Rosace” engraving:

This engraving style was called rosace in the Paul Bruchet era of Darne shotgun production (third gun, last photo) and this pattern was designed by an engraver by the name of Guy Ripamonti. It was not used on Darne guns prior to about 1980. There was a rosace pattern available prior to Guys involvement, but, it is nowhere up to his level of skill. It was the default engraving pattern on R15 and V21 guns of the Bruchet era, although you could specify any engraving you wanted, and could pay for. I have a catalog of guns produced by Ripamonti, and that pattern was not used on guns in that catalog. Perhaps you could order it, but, I have never seen a gun other than a Bruchet produced Darne so engraved. Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen, but, it didn’t happen often, for sure, and I’ve been looking for about 40 years.

I can’t say if this is the same, stylistically, as what your catalog refers to, but, it is an example, that is widely known. More than one house engraver could pull that pattern off on a Darne (Ariel Recrux, for sure, perhaps others) but, Guy had a touch that brought it to life.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok guys, someone take a look at what Fab posted on entaillage above and tell us what exactly it is. I still can't figure it out. Is it the decorative back portion of the A&D action? Associated with the stock as would seem likely? Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fancy back boxlock on the left, plain back boxlock on the right. Per his words. The fancy back costs more money.

Best,
Ted

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.