March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Marc Ret, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, 3 invisible), 349 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,003
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan order a semi-inlet splinter from Show Me Gunstocks .I am fitting a beavertail on my 28 ga Parker Repo 2 barrel set right now and tell Donnie the length of splinter you want. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, a friend in my gun club made a great conversion from BT to splinter on my Super Fox. I just took a chance on fit and gaps and it turned out great. Don't go through all those hoops, just do it. Your friend, Murphy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Since we have the tools and technology to make certain that the existing inletting in the BTFE would not leave unsightly gaps if converted to a splinter, I absolutely would not just start cutting, and hope for the best.

I also would not even consider splicing the edges of the existing forend wood to cover possible gaps, because there is going to be a glue joint line that would not be able to be perfectly hidden full -length in the checkering. My personal choice would be to start looking for a new piece of wood with closely matching grain and pore size, and start whittling a new splinter forend. That way, you would still retain the matching BTFE, should you sell the gun. It really isn't that hard to inlet and fit a shotgun forend. I say that knowing you have the tools and the ability. Checkering will need to be done by you or someone either way. And if you screw up, you won't be out as much as you would if remodeling the BTFE did not go well. Besides, your biggest challenge is not going to be matching the wood itself. The real challenge will be matching the stain and finish of the buttstock, assuming you'd rather not refinish everything. And that will be a problem to solve whether you use the existing forend wood, or start fresh with another blank.

Anyway, that's my advice. Tale it or leave it while you can, because I am seriously questioning the wisdom of giving free advice on this Double-Standards forum while selective moderation is going on, and certain sensitive "special" people are still permitted to submit and cheer-on personal insults. I can leave the free advice giving to someone who doesn't even know the difference between feather-crotch black walnut and thin shell walnut.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I might suggest Stan, to augment the play-dough trick, a sheet of waxed paper as the first layer, then the play-dough, then the compression to fit, would make the removal of the imprinted play-dough easier later. I use play-dough to mask off wood when using Acura-Glas, and this trick sometimes saves time of the removal of the detritus later. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did the Play-Doh trick early this morning. I had to use a very small amount to get it to squeeze out thin enough for the f/e to even latch. Tried to measure the thickness of the remaining Play-Doh with a dial caliper using the depth indicator function and came up with a low of .006" nearer the front end, to .040" in the middle. This, however, was not on the "sides" where it is most important, but at the bottom, where it contacts the bottom of the barrels. I had to go to work and ran out of time, but I plan to do it again with small amounts on the sides, where the top edge of the f/e will actually be, up aways from the bottom and more towards the sides of the barrels.

The Play-Doh was very soft and squeezed out easily, but was easy to remove. Rolled right off.

Next thing I'm going to do is check a couple of factory graded Foxes I have to see just how close the top edges of the f/e fits on them. I may be seeking perfection when it is not necessary. Feeler gauges will tell the tale.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
Since we have the tools and technology to make certain that the existing inletting in the BTFE would not leave unsightly gaps if converted to a splinter, I absolutely would not just start cutting, and hope for the best.

I've no inclination to "just start cutting" without doing all the evaluation possible. My lack of knowledge on how to evaluate this is what led me to start this thread and pose the question. Are there other "tools and technology" that you know of that haven't been already suggested? If so, I could make good use of them now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by keith

I've no inclination to just start cutting without doing all the evaluation possible. My lack of knowledge on how to evaluate this is what led me to start this thread and pose the question. Are there other tools and technology that you know of that haven't been already suggested? If so, I could make good use of them now.

Nope Stan, when I suggested availing yourself of "the tools and technology" necessary to evaluate this proposed forend conversion, I was referring to the simple methods you used, and things like inletting black and other spotting compounds such as those mentioned by Kutter. No rocket science is needed

But even if your further checks confirm that you aren't likely to end up with unacceptable gaps, I think I'd still be inclined to try to find a matching forend blank, and make a new replacement, for the reasons already given. And that comes from someone who has no fondness for any BTFE. I have a similar project in the queue with a Grade 2 L.C. Smith that has a replacement BTFE. I already know the conversion to a splinter would leave gaps, but I haven't yet found a good matching piece of walnut that has the same strong fiddleback as my original buttstock and the replacement BTFE. I suppose I could just use any old chunk of wood, and some folks would never know the difference... If you catch my drift.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I do indeed, keith. But, the task of finding a matching piece of walnut seems insurmountable for me. I have zero affiliation with any walnut dealers, there're none within driving distance, and I have little to no confidence in my ability to evaluate, online, the factors necessary to end up with a matching piece.

So, in spite of the good advice you and Bobby are offering me I am going to go ahead with attempting to evaluate the possibility that the btfe I now have can be converted well. If that turns out to be a definite no, or even a probably not, I'll drop the idea like a hot potato. I have had some pretty good results matching a new buttstock to an old f/e, with stains, but it's tough sometimes. And, I'm not at all certain there is any stain on the current buttstock and f/e wood, thus making the wood matching even more important.

Thanks, SRH

Sidelock
Sidelock

I understand completely Stan. I looked very closely at your pics, but it is hard to tell what walnut species you have on that Fox. The stock cheek provides the clearest look, and from that, I would say it is Black Walnut, but that is merely an educated guess. I have amassed a pretty good amount of walnut blanks and slabs in the Black, English, French, Claro, Circassian, and Bastogne varieties, and keep as many usable scrap pieces as possible for patching. And despite that, it is still often hard to find a close match when doing a repair. Doing it from pics on a computer monitor would be very difficult indeed.

I suppose you could always take Mama Bear and your forend on a little vacation to Las Vegas after harvest, and make a side trip to visit Cecil Fredi. Maybe you could write off the expense as "repairs to farm pest control equipment."

But even if you cut down your BTFE, and even if it currently has no stain, it may still be tough to match finish coloration. When I did my little test on wood glues several years ago, I tried well over half a dozen different stock finishes on my sample glue joints, and every one produced a different color and surface appearance. You may want to test your choice of finish on scraps you cut off to make sure you will be satisfied with how it matches the buttstock.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
Stan, a friend in my gun club made a great conversion from BT to splinter on my Super Fox. I just took a chance on fit and gaps and it turned out great. Don't go through all those hoops, just do it. Your friend, Murphy

Not trying to hijack this thread, but was that BT factory?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.