April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Argo44, Skeeterbd, Ted Schefelbein, dukxdog, 1 invisible), 879 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am no expert on this topic like so many others here are, but this past June when at the H&H store in Dallas, I compared the self-openers on both a Purdey they had in stock with an H&H that I ended up buying. Closing the Purdey took noticeably more effort than an H&H. By no means was it problematic, but the difference was definitely there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Toby,
I kind of touched on my experience and opinion with the H&H system in my first post. I am talking about the H&H system. Not the Boss or even the Coggie system of using ejector springs to assist in opening. I am also familiar with the Smith system used on Churchills and Rossons. Strictly talking about the H&H system here because that’s what the original post was about.
In my experience with H&H system is that when the gun is fired, top lever pushed over and the system opens the gun, unless there’s enough barrel weight, or if the gun is slightly at an angle (maybe cocked a bit side ways or barrels slightly elevated) or if the shooter adds a little added momentum, the system rarely ejects the fired hulls and cocks the gun simultaneously on opening. This is MY experience with the gun. Heavier barrels definitely assist the process in the H&H system, as does having the right angle, and If the coil spring goes a bit weak, forget it.
Not so on a Purdey or Lancaster. On those systems, if you open the gun when it’s tilted sideways or even upside down, barrels slightly elevated, etc, they’re opening forcefully and ejecting the shells and completing a number of other functions simultaneously, that is my definition of a true self opener. Any angle. Any barrel weight. Any position. When you open the action, it pops open with authority and has the power to complete all the other functions of the design. I know…some guns cock on closing, some on opening, some cock one tumbler on opening and one on closing, also cocking ejectors, etc.
Some will argue that a Browning Super or Citori with a weak or broken top lever spring is also a self opener, or even a Fox or LC Smith with a worn rotary bolt could qualify as well.😀

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Worn Ruger Red Labels self open.....

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have never used a SO H&H so I cannot speak for or against, I own four none-SO Holland and Holland pattern Belgian guns and truly enjoy them.

My one 1898 16ga Purdey SO is a joy to handle, I do not find it difficult to close, I have been fortunate to not have to send it out for any work on the action. It has shot more than a thousand rounds for me without issue.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
Toby,
I kind of touched on my experience and opinion with the H&H system in my first post. I am talking about the H&H system. Not the Boss or even the Coggie system of using ejector springs to assist in opening. I am also familiar with the Smith system used on Churchills and Rossons. Strictly talking about the H&H system here because that’s what the original post was about.
In my experience with H&H system is that when the gun is fired, top lever pushed over and the system opens the gun, unless there’s enough barrel weight, or if the gun is slightly at an angle (maybe cocked a bit side ways or barrels slightly elevated) or if the shooter adds a little added momentum, the system rarely ejects the fired hulls and cocks the gun simultaneously on opening. This is MY experience with the gun. Heavier barrels definitely assist the process in the H&H system, as does having the right angle, and If the coil spring goes a bit weak, forget it.
Not so on a Purdey or Lancaster. On those systems, if you open the gun when it’s tilted sideways or even upside down, barrels slightly elevated, etc, they’re opening forcefully and ejecting the shells and completing a number of other functions simultaneously, that is my definition of a true self opener. Any angle. Any barrel weight. Any position. When you open the action, it pops open with authority and has the power to complete all the other functions of the design. I know…some guns cock on closing, some on opening, some cock one tumbler on opening and one on closing, also cocking ejectors, etc.
Some will argue that a Browning Super or Citori with a weak or broken top lever spring is also a self opener, or even a Fox or LC Smith with a worn rotary bolt could qualify as well.😀
Fair point.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.