March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (eightbore), 827 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,014
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#604208 10/06/21 05:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just read about early (1890--1920) era economy grade doubles that retailed for under $25.00 (a week's wages for many men back then) in recent edition of Sporting Classics magazine. Sears Roebuck apparently owned a gun manufactory in Meriden Ct. and produced the A.J. Aubrey line up under that name-and apparently sold quite a few of them-- Just co-incidence that the Aubrey guns were built in the very same town as "Parker-America's Finest Double"?? Or was there some tie-in, as there was with Hunter Arms and the Fulton operation that built their economy box-lock series>> I recently bought a used A.J. Aubrey sidelock 12 gauge sn 60878- 30" Damascus barrels DT, EXT-- marked on the top rib "MFG By The Meriden Firearms Co. Meriden CT. Pat'd July 9, 1907--both barrels rang like chimes, positive safety, good trigger pulls, and apparently, as I patterned it at 35 yds. with RST 1 oz. No. 8-- full choke in each tube. No dents, bores are like mirrors- amazingly good over-all condition.

Can anyone shed some light on the A.J.Aubrey shotguns, over and above that contained in the SC article?? RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

made by meridan for sears, as i recall...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Made by Aubrey for Sears Roebuck and Company. Some of the graded Aubreys were really nice guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some very nice guns were also produced by the Meriden Fire Arms Co. as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BnNidc_mnzJg-CJ9wCVZDqwNbi5gojDx4rpXs9wQ_Cc/edit

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The A.J. Aubrey, The Meriden Gun, and the Meriden Firearms Co. guns were made in the same factory

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

As Dean said, another line of much higher grade guns were manufactured
The 1910 Meriden Firearms Co. catalog shows the following grades:
A with Whitworth, Krupp, or 6-blade damascus for $250 with AE;
B with Krupp or 6-blade for $185 with AE;
C with Krupp or 4-blade for $110 with AE;
D “Trap Gun” with Krupp or 3-blade for $90 with AE;
E “Quail Gun” with Krupp and ONLY 16G for $60 (no AE offered);
F with Krupp or 3-blade for $60 with AE;
G with Krupp for $40.

Production of these guns was apparently quite limited as very few are found today. It is not known if the intended market for these more expensive models may have been Fred Biffar's company or other national dealers.

A 1910 “The Meriden Gun” ad is in Forest & Stream
https://books.google.com/books?id=mEkcAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA392

Pete Mikalajunas had an article in the DGJ Vol. 21, Issue 1, 2010

William H. Gough was in Meriden, engraved for Parker Bros., was later head of the engraving department at the A.H. Fox Gun Co., and also did contract work for Hollenbeck Gun Co., Meriden Fire Arms, Colt and Winchester.

1 member likes this: DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Peter Mikalejunas (sp) was an Aubrey expert. Sadly, he passed away.

Their graded guns are very nice. BUT! They put it all on the outside. Insides can appear crude.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a pretty high grade Aubrey. The birds engraved on the locks look just like those on my GH Parker.

1 member likes this: DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sears was a business man first. Sears owned Meriden F.A. Company. Aubrey designed the gun and ran the plant. With Parker established and close by, skilled day laborers could find work at either plant. The Meriden F.A. Co., guns can also be found stamped with trade names, the most common being BERKSHIRE.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the great and informative replies- No engraving, 18 lpi checkering-- Number 2 is stamped on the watertable right next to the serial humber-- grade, or frame size?? Shoots great, solid dense patterns from either barrel- probably will be in my battery of barn pigeon guns. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

I sold Pete a Wm Gough engraved Aubrey that he put the pictures of on his website. Thos closeups of the disappearing middle bead (a patent by AJ Aubrey) were also my pics. They seem to show up around the net.
12ga, 32" F&F. Nice engraving and wood.
A heavy gun, I shot it quite aa bit before selling it.

Meriden/Aubrey usually stamped the Barrel material and the bbl length on the water table just above the guns serial number.
This is usually on the left side of the water table

They commonly used single letter codes for the steel types.
S-Steel,, T-Twist,, K-Krupp,,D-Damascus,,C-Chain Damascus
Then the barrel length in inches.

A common marking would be 'T30' for Twist barrels 30" length.

A '2' I'm not sure what the meaning would be.

If it's stamped on the opposite side of the water table (right side) from that where the ser# is stamped,,then it's the Grade of the shotgun.

Low Number= low grade,,higher the number higher the grade.
The grades ran into the 50 and I believe the 60 Grade numbers.

I've had more than a few Meriden/Aubrey shotguns and a couple of their pump and single shot .22's. Oddly no handguns that I can recall.
I still have one of their Model 1912(?) pump 12ga shotguns and a single shot 12 hammer gun. Just sold the hammerless single shot 12,,quite a nice gun in itself.
One of the nicest .22 pumps was a a Deluxe Model 1915 Meriden that I brought back from near death after a buffer got ahold of it at some point.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.