March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Der Ami, JDH, craigd, JayCee, 2 invisible), 364 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,991
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunlover
"Almost as alluring as a Yugo that BSA XII."

That is a surprising remark coming from a gunsmith. We are obviously judging things from different points of view and apply different criteria.

Baker managed to make an action that can be made from flat stock, uses one single coil spring to power tumbler, trigger and give a rebounding action, and employs a safety bent to prevent accidental discharge.

In this you see a Yugo, I see genius. Doing more with less is an engineering ideal, or so I have read.

He is the same Baker that gave us the Lancaster 12/20, the Baker ejector, and numerous other patents that were employed by the big names without much recognition being given to the inventor.

Interesting that the Lancaster 12/20 comes from the same brain as the shotgun equivalent of the Yugo!

Yes, you are correct, different points of view and criteria.

Wonderful that he could do all that with a single coil spring but who cares really? It is just a machine made, ugly single shot gun designed so the least amount of overhead is incurred during the manufacturing process. No thought of fit, finish, balance or aesthetics. A Yugo of shotgun, goes bang for minimal investment but beyond that you really cannot say much for it. Certainly no skill was required on the part of the gunmaker.

Different viewpoints and criteria indeed.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Konor,

You count as public land the zone between high and low tide. As you might have gathered what most posters here understand by that term is actual land, not a tidal zone. Like one poster above put it, he parks his car on public land, gets out and his license gives him the right to hunt right there. Can you name a piece of land in the UK where you can do that? Do what Americans call upland hunting on public land? The british way is that the right to pursue game belongs to the landowner or his assigns, which is the opposite of regarding regulated hunting as a constitutional right and game as a public resource.

I cited Thomas and Boothroyd as authorities on the subject at hand. Thomas, in addition to being a gun writer, was a qualified engineer. Boothroyd collected and organized information on British gunmakers for more than fifty years. I do not know if Geoffrey was Scottish, but all the years we were in touch his home address was in Glasgow, you should be proud of that.

I hope your reluctance to admit that you were wrong to state that” there is no British hunting over public land in other words none for the common folk” doesn’t drag on. I have already explained that foreshore wildfowling is available to all and has a thriving club scene I fail to see how that being the case does not prove your statement wrong. It seems you wish to redefine the definition of public land to suit your argument. As to there being no hunting for common folk in Britain that grossly misrepresents reality but seems to suit your ill founded beliefs and how you wish to portray British fieldsports. As I have already stated I think you should make an effort to educate yourself on the variety of fieldsports available and the extent to which they are enjoyed by the average working man instead of relying on lazy stereotypes.
I read both Gough Thomas and Geoffrey Boothroyd articles weekly over many years and have all their books so am well acquainted with their writing. I knew Geoffrey Boothroyd personally and visited his house on the South side of Glasgow on several occasions I fail to see how their writing has anything to do with fieldsports as practiced here in Britain and your ignorance of the subject.

Sidelock
Sidelock

SKB,

yes, a difference for sure. I admire mechanical simplicity because in engineering the challenge is to simplify rather than complicate.

Plus there is some appeal in that "minimal investment" thing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KOnor, OK there is public hunting in the zone between high and low tide.

What is this club scene you refer to? Something like the old WAAGBI? The acronym if I remember right stands for Wildfowlers Association of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

You are lucky to have met Geoffrey in person. Our contact was via letter and phone.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

SKB,

yes, a difference for sure. I admire mechanical simplicity because in engineering the challenge is to simplify rather than complicate.

Plus there is some appeal in that "minimal investment" thing.

I spent all my money on bird dogs, fine shotguns and ale, the rest I just wasted.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

KOnor, OK there is public hunting in the zone between high and low tide.

What is this club scene you refer to? Something like the old WAAGBI? The acronym if I remember right stands for Wildfowlers Association of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

You are lucky to have met Geoffrey in person. Our contact was via letter and phone.

The club scene I referred to was the existence of wildfowling clubs on all the main wildfowling estuaries of Britain ,at one point represented by WAGBI ,and came about largely to safeguard wildfowling and represent its interests.WAGBI has now morphed into BASC the British Assosciation for Shooting and Conservation.
I think it would be fair to say that BASC’s popularity within the shooting community is mixed ,not helped by their recent stance to promote the move from lead to non lead shot for all game shooting. This was seen by some as a betrayal and pandering to commercial shooting who were relying on the continental market for disposal of their game birds and who were insisting on lead free meat. That ,it seems,no exemption will exist for those shooting game for their own table means that there will possibly be an array of shotguns deemed unsuitable for further use. Also the lead shot historic link with the past will be broken and we will no longer be able to enjoy the full flexibility of the 12 bore and its vast array of loads.
Unfortunately BASC has no one of the stature of the likes of John Anderton ,it’s first full time director,a great speaker and defender of shooters rights and wildfowling interests and the driving force behind the formation of the WAGBI affiliated wildfowling clubs.

When Geoffrey wrote an autobiographical article in the Shooting Times he illustrated it with a photograph I had taken of him at the CLA Floors Castle Game Fair holding an eight bore semi automatic wildfowling gun, he definitely had an eclectic taste in guns in the broadest sense of the word and he enjoyed immersing himself in their history as much as he enjoyed using them. As I wrote earlier he was a true gentleman.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What are you doing up at such an hour?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lonesome roads

Does she frown on you picking up chicks on the Cub?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

Best,
Ted

Chicks dig the cub.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

Best,
Ted

Chicks dig the cub.

Hate to be the one to break it to you.

Those ain’t chicks.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Best,
Ted

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.