April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (fallschirmjaeger, JBG, 2 invisible), 435 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,793
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Carl46
I thought scotch, golf, and Sean Connery were from Scotland, not England. England has many claims to fame, but not those.

Originally Posted by BEY
Dickson, MacNaugton and DMB are pretty fine guns both aesthetically and mechanically.

It’s all good. England is a small sub colony of Scotland.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The late "Cactus Jack" O'Connor in his Shotgun Book states, regarding Limey gun fitting and snobbery- "You haven't really lived until you've been conned by a Brit".. True that. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BEY
Dickson, MacNaugton and DMB are pretty fine guns both aesthetically and mechanically.

For Olympics, sporting clay and fitasc - Beretta, Perazzi, Krieghoff, Kolar

Where are the British made O/U's.

Digweed, Faulds, Hustwaite, Solomon and Wisner are al ltop British champions. None shoot British Guns.

USA has Meins, Radulovich, Fanizzi, Kruse, Hancock, Matarese etc

Just quibbling a little bit. Whenever you have world class athletes, and money enters the fray, their choice of equipment is largely decided on the basis of who pays most. Each of the persons named shoot guns that are largely custom made for them. The country of apparent origin is immaterial to “what is”. I have intimate knowledge of the pro golf world. You can’t believe the shenanigans that go on to reconcile what the player likes to hit with what the player has signed on to promote.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
No hunting for the common man in the UK?

Well that's news to me. I shot a free range Fallow, muntjac, and Chinese Water deer as well as walked up Ducks and Pheasant. I did pay a small trespass fee but that is common in America as well.

I have been dragging my best gun across our high prairies in search of Roosters and grouse for about fifteen years and I see absolutely no ill effects from hunting that gun.

You will be hard pressed to find a bigger smile on face then when I roll a cagey wild bird over my dogs with that old Holland. Despite what all the nah sayers constantly spout, in the years I have owned that gun it has needed zero maintenance beyond cleaning and lube.

Did you drag your best gun to Olde Blighty to shoot the deer? Did you do this last year? Will you do it again, this year, or, next? Why not? 20 years ago, I inquired about doing some hunting in France. My hosts, gracious, but honest, informed me that while it might not be technically illegal, it might as well be. As gunmakers, they had to score an invite from a landowner, and they would have a day out, surrounded by strangers, and they might get a shot at a duck, or not. The event usually ended as a party, and the guest of honor was most often a large boar that had been hit by a car, or shot on a hunt, but, usually, hit by a car. The pigs were a huge nuisance in that part of France, and getting worse. There were fees, of course, but, those fees promised them nothing, save they would be on the property that day.

They considered themselves lucky if they got out every five years. They were well connected, opposed to say, mostly anyone else. I was dumbfounded at how few options there were to this, and how they expected to produce hunting weapons in a culture that had almost no legal public hunting available to the masses.

As long as you have a pile of money to give them, them being the landowners, local enforcement agencies, and whatever government perfunctory is standing with his hand out, you are right, you can technically hunt, in Europe. Sometimes. What we have, here, is hugely different. The situation in Europe is most certainly not improving.

Good guns are much like gentlemen. Where you find them. Already pointed out, the good gun that is walked up to a peg in a slip, might not be all that great sitting in a duck boat for 40 seasons. Yes, I know guys that do that with a gun, and it is not an English gun.

Best,
Ted

Last edited by Ted Schefelbein; 10/03/21 09:39 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Issue also settled in 1912; the Gold Medal U.S. team, several with (oh the shame) repeating shotguns!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Including individual Gold Jay Graham

Again in 1920; the Gold Medal U.S. team. Mark Arie was individual Gold with a Marlin Model 28 pump!

And 1924: the Gold Medal U.S. team. All Model 12s except Frank Hughes with a Smith

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Did you drag your best gun to Olde Blighty to shoot the deer? Did you do this last year? Will you do it again, this year, or, next? Why not? 20 years ago, I inquired about doing some hunting in France. My hosts, gracious, but honest, informed me that while it might not be technically illegal, it might as well be. As gunmakers, they had to score an invite from a landowner, and they would have a day out, surrounded by strangers, and they might get a shot at a duck, or not. The event usually ended as a party, and the guest of honor was most often a large boar that had been hit by a car, or shot on a hunt, but, usually, hit by a car. The pigs were a huge nuisance in that part of France, and getting worse. There were fees, of course, but, those fees promised them nothing, save they would be on the property that day.

They considered themselves lucky if they got out every five years. They were well connected, opposed to say, mostly anyone else. I was dumbfounded at how few options there were to this, and how they expected to produce hunting weapons in a culture that had almost no legal public hunting available to the masses.

As long as you have a pile of money to give them, them being the landowners, local enforcement agencies, and whatever government perfunctory is standing with his hand out, you are right, you can technically hunt, in Europe. Sometimes. What we have, here, is hugely different. The situation in Europe is most certainly not improving.

Good guns are much like gentlemen. Where you find them. Already pointed out, the good gun that is walked up to a peg in a slip, might not be all that great sitting in a duck boat for 40 seasons. Yes, I know guys that do that with a gun, and it is not an English gun.

Best,
Ted

No I leave the Holland home when I deer hunt(are you really that clueless?????)

I might make it over next year for Stags and walked up birds if the Covid situation stabilizes, not this year.

That may be the case in France, I have not hunted there. The people I know in the UK get out multiple times per year for birds and big game.

The costs associated with my hunting in the UK were on par with hunting in America, very tolerable.

I far prefer the large amounts of public land on offer here in the States to the European model but as the saying goes "When in Rome...."

I'm not much of a duck hunter for for the walked up game I pursue my H&H has been the perfect gun for me. What other choose is up to them but I have made my choice and can live with it just fine. Tuck thinks so too....

[img]https://i.imgur.com/yRLlkiPl.jpg?1[/img]

Last edited by SKB; 10/03/21 09:55 AM.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein

Best,
Ted

No I leave the Holland home when I deer hunt(are you really that clueless?????)

I might make it over next year for Stags and walked up birds if the Covid situation stabilizes, not this year.

That may be the case in France, I have not hunted there. The people I know in the UK get out multiple times per year for birds and big game.

The costs associated with my hunting in the UK were on par with hunting in America, very tolerable.

I far prefer the large amounts of public land on offer here in the States to the European model but as the saying goes "When in Rome...."

I'm not much of a duck hunter for for the walked up game I pursue my H&H has been the perfect gun for me. What other choose is up to them but I have made my choice and can live with it just fine. Tuck thinks so too....

[img]https://i.imgur.com/yRLlkiPl.jpg?1[/img]

My question doesn’t involve what gun you use to kill a deer on an estate in England (clueless?) rather, are you bringing a gun to England to use? Because, that is getting to the point where it is almost impossible, outside the US.
Answer that question. You have had two tries at this point.
I know half a dozen people who used to travel to England or Scotland to shoot. To a one, they don’t do that anymore, and toward the end, they certainly didn’t entertain the notion of bringing a gun to use. Or, ammunition.
The best explanation I heard is the whole ordeal was an “Expensive, hot mess. You will be treated just fine, as long as you are buying, and you bring plenty of tip money”.
OK, good enough, if that is what you are into, then fine. If I shoot a deer, I dress, butcher and cook a deer. Same with a bird. Same with a fish I catch. Not my deal if it ends any other way.

Best,
Ted

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I brought the .25-06 Mauser I built in Gunsmithing school and the appropriate ammunition for it.

I eat what I shoot here in the States and live almost exclusively off of wild game, with the exception of store bought bacon and some lunchmeat.
When I travel to hunt internationally I do not eat what I shoot usually, unless the circumstance allows for it.

Do I still need my other try Ted?

Here for the meltdowns
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LGF
I just wish that lovely warm, flat British ale were more available here. I have yet to find an American craft beer that comes close, and even Bass and Newkie Broon are getting harder to find. A while ago I found Newcastle brewed by Heineken in the Netherlands, nowhere close to the real thing, and more recently brewed by Lagunitas in California, downright vile. Oh, for a proper pint of McEwan's.

Hard to argue your point but I will say some of the very best ale I have had was while in Prague in 1994, the local dark beer(simply called Pevo dark) was amazing. I will never forget the huge steins of it being served in the beer garden of my hostile for less than a dime.

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Yes, I brought the .25-06 Mauser I built in Gunsmithing school and the appropriate ammunition for it.

I eat what I shoot here in the States and live almost exclusively off of wild game, with the exception of store bought bacon and some lunchmeat.
When I travel to hunt internationally I do not eat what I shoot usually, unless the circumstance allows for it.

Do I still need my other try Ted?

Let us know how it goes next time you show up in England to hunt, and if you manage to get a gun in the place.

Have a safe trip.

Best,
Ted

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.