March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (CJF, Jimmy W, AZMike, Hugh Lomas, eightbore, 1 invisible), 605 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

Old Liz- eine Deutscher Konigen ist? Vas ist los mit dem Anglischer in die welt?? Herr Fuchs

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Gentleman is defined as someone 'who can play the bagpipes; but chooses not to'. Lagopus.....

1 member likes this: eeb
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
The title of the video and this Thread amount to rash generalizations that are meaningless apples to oranges comparisons. The very best hand made custom rifles and shotguns produced by Americans compare favorably with guns made anywhere. And our mass produced machine made guns stack up quite nicely too, when compared to mass produced guns built elsewhere. Comparing a hand made Boss or Purdey to an Ithaca or Stevens is just as ridiculous as comparing a Chevy Cobalt to a Formula 1 car. And it wouldn't be fair to compare a cheap Birmingham working man's gun to a Lefever Optimus or John Nichols shotgun either. But there is no question that the gun making trade in Great Britain reached an overall higher level of refinement, while ours was generally geared toward mass production and mass marketing. You could say our talent for mass production saved the British trade from being conquered by Adolph Hitler & Co. And you could also say that we have now outsourced and off-shored that capability today, and morphed into a nation where too many people would rather stay home and collect Government money hot off the printing press. I'm blown away by the number of businesses I see that are closed or have reduced operations because they don't have enough employees, while millions are collecting unemployment checks. This must certainly be a factor in recent ammunition shortages.

And once upon a time, there was active and frequent international competition to determine which nation had the best shooters in all of the various disciplines. Now international shooting competition has dwindled, and it is hard to find, even when there is an Olympics, because the shooting sports have been demonized. So we are largely left with opinions. We have some guys right here who could outshoot George Digweed, to hear them talk. I'm mainly concerned with how well I can shoot. And gun reviews are largely a matter of personal taste. I read a lot of good things about Turkish shotguns, but haven't been moved to buy any yet.

Very well said!

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by lagopus
A Gentleman is defined as someone 'who can play the bagpipes; but chooses not to'. Lagopus.....

An oldie but a goodie.

Over here it’s a banjo.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The only thing better than a banjo player is two banjo players.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

In their time British guns were without doubt top of the tree ,unfortunately they became uneconomic to produce for the market they had ! Other makers gradually filled that niche ,and the rest as they say ,is history......
As for the British social structure ,that was machine gunned to pieces in 1914-18,then fragmented by high taxation to pay for that and the later unpleasantness by the Krauts.
Britain was never to be the same again....

Last edited by Imperdix; 10/02/21 09:53 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well Nudge I have worked in France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Poland to name just a few though I am not think like you I can pontificate on each and every country, and as for the junior school yard the Brit queen is German yes she is of German decent at least if you where going to go to bring the countries Grand Mother or should I say Gross-mutter into the conversation, you could have the decency to use her correct family name though I feel that you only did know that she had German roots from the German family of Sax-Coburg-Gotha. The German roots of the Monarchs family are known to the people of Britain so it is back to the Ducks back and water again. I do not take your mud slinging seriously because I would rather have a cut and thrust conversation with someone who does have at least a smattering of knowledge on the subject they are talking about. Any further conversation on the above subjects I will refer you to my first post.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The epitome of fine guns is a late, bar in iron, Purdey pigeon gun with, of course, outside hammers. It encompasses strength, reliability, competition readiness, quiet elegance, quality of manufacture, and a name that needs no apology. Other guns share this model of Purdey's characteristics and quality, but the tiebreaker is always the name.

1 member likes this: eeb
Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus,

Your writing makes about as much sense as skinny jeans on a full grown man.

If you are going to engage in a conversation (a) you cannot use run-on sentences, and (b) you have to state something clearly.

Why is it that so many English speak it so poorly?

Look, you already lost this. Just move on and don't be a ponce. Or worse, a ponce who can't formulate a logical sentence.

Here, I'll throw u a bone. Pluses for Britain: The SAS/SBS, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Sean Connery and last but not least...SCOTCH.

God bless you for scotch.

A pox on you for serving beer at room temperature.

NDG

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'm quite happy drinking an English Ale at the temperature it is served at in the uk. Beats the hell out ice cold piss water Pilsner that passes for beer in this country any day.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.