March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Dale May, NZHunter, SKB, 1 invisible), 308 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

since when is asking questions and posting opinions a con?

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also believe Randy Wakeman is a dipshit. Have You read any of his scribelings? He is a gun writer who will pimp any crap that someone pays for. What Law enforcement agency would allow him to consult ? Ed Send him a couple of bucks and he will tout torched colored gun actions.

Last edited by GMCS; 09/27/21 02:48 PM.
2 members like this: graybeardtmm3, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

The American gun companies at the turn of the century touted their composite steel guns could handle any of the new nitro powders. Sherman Bell's work also shows this to be true. I don't load low pressure smokelss because I think the barrels might come apart if I don't, I load low pressure to save the wood and the recoil is easy on my old shoulders. Pressure is pressure no matter how you slice it. Get a wall thickness gauge and be smart about it. Everything in life is a risk. Just learn to deal with it!

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
2 members like this: DAM16SXS, Matt Stolley
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

well, what about what wakefield says about scale?

ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

12bore: do you have a barrel wall thickness gauge? if so, pls share with us the thicknesses you consider safe for twist barrels...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on the gun. Each gun is evaluated on a case by case basis.

"As for me and my house we will shoot Damascus!"
ed good Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

keith, included in this old thread is a post by petem, in which he shows us a barrel drawing from 1891 that gives us some valuable data re suggested barrel wall thicknesses for twist type barrels...maybe there are more examples of pete's research that are waiting for discovery...

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=149280&page=1

Last edited by ed good; 09/27/21 09:44 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
since when is asking questions and posting opinions a con?

It has more to do with motive.

John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cuzin John one could see motive in your reply.

I shot black and smokeless out of my Damascus guns one thing I did notice was a different feel or ring in the barrels with smokeless powder.

I also moved on from antique guns....if I had a do over I'd only shoot proper black powder looking back I think smokeless powder is too hard on old Damascus guns.....reguardless of pressure. .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by L. Brown
I thought that the "Damascus Roulette" group had disappeared. Sherman Bell's articles, along with Doc Drew's posts here, pretty much answer that question.

I was never a Damascus guy, Larry, but, I have moved on from being an old gun guy. Once you get to about the 1920s in age, the quality of steel used goes up logarithmically, and old wood is often nobodies friend. I don’t want to be the guy holding the bag on a stocked to the fences turn of the last century gun that needs a restock, or rebarrel.

Some Damascus ages better than others.

Best,
Ted

Ted, I think you took a bit of a diversion from the subject at hand. You're basically questioning whether we ought to shoot guns with Damascus barrels--or even century old guns with fluid steel barrels--with any loads. Most people who do so aren't likely to be using the heaviest and fastest modern shotshells in those guns. That's a personal call. You choose not to make it and provide your reasons for making that choice. Others go the other way and manage to avoid catastrophic failures.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.