April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (susjwp, graybeardtmm3, canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, 2 invisible), 811 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,828
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#602708 09/12/21 04:47 PM
smp190 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been looking at a couple of guns on the Holts Auction site. Besides the exchange rate of 1.38 US to British Pounds and the 25% juice. Does anybody know what shipping would cost or have experience shipping a gun from overseas. By the time you add all of the charges it seems to get pretty expensive. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Steve

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Holts can ship you an antique via Fedex, you may have to collect it at the nearest international airport and clear it through customs. They quote each shipment after purchase.

I import guns from the UK regularly, post 98 guns are 650$, 2% of purchase price for insurance, duty 4%, and shipping from me to your FFL. My shipments come in 2-3 times per year.

Good luck on your bidding.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Your best bet is to find someone on your side of the pond who buys regularly from Holts and ask him to bid for you and ship your guns with his when you have both been successful. That should produce some economy of scale even with whatever he would no doubt add for his services.

Even so with import and export licences, international shipping and other charges it is likely you will pay more to get a gun to you than it is worth unless it is of very good quality.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is simpler to use an importer like SKB. Add the shipping cost given into your calculations. Also if you do a wire transfer from your bank figure another 50-75 depending on your bank. So cheap guns become fairly expensive. But you might find a gun you really want and figure total cost is not that important. I just brought in to 3” guns for duck hunting. Price was decent but not the steals they appeared from the auction winning bid. But I killed two geese and a teal with one of them last week so price does not bother me now. Another gun I bought was a left handed crossover double as a decoration oddity. Been looking for a left handed version for sometime.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Concur, use of an importer removes the risk of missing something from lack of experience.

I have used an importer several times now and always been happy with having done it.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have imported twice with Steve. I feel like the auction prices have been creeping up and the wares have been declining in quality and condition. Seemed like there were better deals a few years ago.

smp190 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks everybody for your responses. SKB I will PM you with some additional questions.

Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used an importer twice on guns, one from Holt's and one from Gavin Gardiner. I use the estimate of double the GBP bid in dollars for getting it to me, a bit more on cheaper ones. It's slow, a pain, and neither auction house is very helpful. I still look, but factor all that in... I just came back from R.I.A. which was a totally better experience.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Like Steve I import as well. Best to have a pro do it, A lot more involved than you think. Especially when it comes to clearing customs.

smp190 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just wanted to thank all of you for your responses. It really is an expensive proposition especially when you add in the exchange rate and Holtz’s 25% “juice”.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.