March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (canvasback, Ted Schefelbein, Marc Ret), 818 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi folks

Am looking to find information on the calibre .500 x 2.5 inch BPE
I have recently acquired a double rifle by James Beattie (London), c.1864, in this calibre and am struggling to find any info on this at all.
Suspect the rifle was made for British officers in India for sporting purposes being a .500.
The only calibre I can find similar is Sharps .500-90 STRAIGHT.
Will keep you posted once the rifle arrives with me, and have considered a chamber cast to check when it does to confirm dimensions. .500 x 3 inch would make more sense as is same as 500 Nitro Express.
I do plan to reload for the rifle if possible and seems it deserves to be shot if condition permits.

Any help much appreciated, I've waded though many cartridge catalogues and not yet found an exact match but thought this is something Double-rifle aficionados will be more familiar and nuanced with. Any help/steer much appreciated.
Pics will follow

Cheers

Last edited by Baz Smiles; 09/08/21 12:36 PM.

Let he who casts the first stone - be accurate.
If he cannot be accurate, he should practice first.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I saw that gun at auction, looked to be in beautiful condition. The .500 2&1/2" shows up in the Bill Flemming book "British Sporting rifle Cartridges", it shows between 90 and 98 grains of powder and a 340 grain lead bullet.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
1 member likes this: Baz Smiles
Sidelock
Sidelock

George A. Hoyem, Volume 3, shows (in addition to the (3 and 3 1/4 inch) .500 cartridges in lengths of 1 1/2, 2 1/4, 2 1/2 and 2 5/8 inch.

All are of Boxer coiled case construction with iron base discs like the original .577 Snider and .577/.450 Martini- Henry rounds.

They may have been designed to drop into the short breech of Snider sporting rifles.

He does not show any solid drawn cases , which suggests they did not stay current for very long.

He does not give any load data but mentions in relation to the 2 1/4 inch that prison guards in New South Wales were reported to use double rifles (“There’s posh for you!”) in a similar calibre.

The dimensions he lists for the 2 1/2 inch are .653 rim, . 580 head, .546 case mouth, .505 bullet diameter, case length 2.5 inch and OAL 2.81 inch. He pictures two 2 1/2 inch cartridges, one with a short round nose solid (presumably the 2.81 inch OAL) and the other with a longer tubed Express bullet.

It would appear to be dimensionally similar at the base to the 3 inch drawn case which will probably work with trimming and neck reaming but look to see if there is a slight step in the chamber to accommodate the base cup of the coiled case.

Hope it turns out to be a shooter Baz, and welcome to the forum!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks SKB that's a helpful steer, I don't have a copy of that book but feels like something that would be helpful. I had guesstimated a load ivo 90grs and was going to start at 80 - so that data is very helpful. Think I will be lucky to find dies for it though! This is all new to me (double rifles) but have been watching them for some time.
This particular rifle looked too good to miss, which fortunately for me many seemed to; although the proof will be in the pudding as they say. The bullet mould is present so am optimistic.

Originally Posted by SKB
I saw that gun at auction, looked to be in beautiful condition. The .500 2&1/2" shows up in the Bill Flemming book "British Sporting rifle Cartridges", it shows between 90 and 98 grains of powder and a 340 grain lead bullet.

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Parabola - thank you for this reply and the technical case details within, that is again very helpful.
I've noted in pics of the rifle that there are some fired .500 express cases there. I wondered (we'll see when it arrives) if the previous owner has shortened these to 2.5" to reload.
As for NSW guards having double rifles, two things struck me, the first round...followed by the second! Certainly a strong message to the inmates!

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by Parabola
.....He pictures two 2 1/2 inch cartridges, one with a short round nose solid (presumably the 2.81 inch OAL) and the other with a longer tubed Express bullet...
Could you share an image of these rounds for me?

Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hope this works, photo credit to George A. Hoyem

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

That's great, thank you for that and also George A. Hoyem. Visually and by dimension it appears very similar to the Sharps 50-90 STRAIGHT. The rim thickness is noticeably thicker.
Will post back here once the rifle arrives and share more.
I did think to myself that I'd quickly see if I could buy a copy of both aforementioned books....how I laughed...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Baz Smiles,
The rim thickness of modern solid head drawn cases can be pretty easily adjusted to fit your gun. If you are able to find original ammo, keep it for reference, don't try to shoot it.
Mike

Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Mike - noted. I doubt very much I'll be able to find original ammo, but excited to think I might; I would not be tempted to shoot it! Saying that I did feed over 50 rounds of 1940 .303 through my Enfield a couple of years ago; not a glitch!
Am interested as to how rim thickness can be adjusted, are you able to steer/shed any light on how this can be achieved?

Very many thanks to you and other friendly, helpful forum members.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.