March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, Ken Nelson, Dan S. W., Marc Ret, SKB, 1 invisible), 799 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I've never shot registured skeet, though I've shot it often. I was always shooting registured trap. Skeet shooters had a reputation for being kind of snooty, a trapshooter would talk to anybody. You're sure right about one thing. You can sell just about any sort of shooting gee gaw to a trapshooter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've shot American skeet, International skeet, ATA trap, sporting clays, pigeons, you name it, for fun and for money, but I never heard of that "flair" stuff. What is that?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I think they're talking about the eccentricities of some serious trap (and skeet) shooters, the tendency to think another gadget, or a special shirt, or lucky pair of shoes or hat, will really get another target or two. The long, strained, eccentric pre-shot routines.

My bunch of buddies are 180 degrees the opposite of that. We rag each other, saying anything we can to get in the others' heads and get them to drop a bird, or two. We hope for a rabbit target that takes a big hop, and rag the shooter in the box if he gets one or two. We will ask each other things like "Did you put a new bead on your rib?", just as he gets ready to say "Pull!". Or, if the shooter in the box runs the first three pair we will sometimes casually comment "You know, nobody on the squad has missed one here ............yet". All these kinds of things are exactly opposite of the flair the poster was referring to, if I understood him correctly.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot skeet low gun, safety on the same way I do it in the field. I do this to try to cut down on that look the dogs give you over their shoulder when they've stuck a bird and held it until you get there , and on the flush you do everything wrong and the bird keeps going. Those of you that have dogs know the look. I will never be as good as I should, I think too much, but I'm lots better and more consistent in the field than I was before I started. Before pheasant season starts the small group I shoot with agree once your loaded gun is closed you can throw any bird or birds at any time from that moment until they get tired of standing there. Most of us shoot better that way because we pay more attention and focus better. The purpose of the exercise.

Sidelock
Sidelock

keep it simple...shoot skeet with your grouse guns and enjoy the warm up...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also first shot skeet overseas. Rod & Gun Club, US Navy base. Kenitra, Morocco. I'd been shooting trap to that point and found skeet more to my taste. I still shoot a lot of skeet, but like Le Fusil, with my hunting guns. Haven't shot a straight recently, but a bunch of 24's with a 6 pound Parker VH 16ga (0 frame gun) and a 6 pound SKB 20ga. The way to shoot station 8 is as a going away target. Call for the high house bird while facing the low house and vice versa. Or, if you pivot away from other members of the squad, pivot and take those two targets going away.

Skeet really took off prior to WWII. All the makers of American sxs made skeet versions of their guns. Back then, it was shot mainly with sxs and pumps. There's a poster in the men's restroom at one club where I shoot. Advertises the Winchester Model 21, with which a shooter had then set the world's record: 229 birds straight. As noted above, that's back when you called for the bird from the low gun position. Back when I lived in Iowa, we used to hold a shoot every year at about this time to benefit the Ruffed Grouse Society. Two rounds of skeet. One standard rules. The other low gun and with a variable delay of up to 3 seconds. It was funny to watch the "grooved" skeet shooters on Station 8. They'd get very twitchy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It would be very interesting to know the scoop as to how Ithaca was able to introduce their "Skeet Special" in July 1926, just 2 months after "Skeet" was named in the May "National Sportsman". Were they tipped off by William Harnden Foster, and why not Parker Bros.?

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The cover of the August 1926 "National Sportsman" by Foster was “the first painting ever published of a scene in the new sport of Skeet” and possibly depicted his son using Foster Sr.’s 20 gauge Parker DHE with 27-inch barrels

The L.C. Smith “Skeet Upland Special” appeared in "Hunting and Fishing" in June 1928, almost 2 years later

In the 1929 Hunter Arms Co. catalog, the word “upland” was gone and the Skeet Special grade was shown with a straight grip stock, checkered wood butt, “Skeet Choke No. 1 right and No. 2 left,” and “Streamline Beaver Tail Forend.” Basically, it was an Ideal grade with London Steel barrels, upgraded wood, and with the skeet logo engraved on the lockplate

The Winchester Model 21 went into production in 1929, but was not listed on the Winchester price list until 1931. In 1933, the Model 21 Skeet Gun was introduced in Standard, Tournament, and Trap grades.
In 1932, a Parker advertising brochure showed a Special Skeet Gun with “skeet-in/skeet-out” chokes, 26 inch barrels, automatic ejectors, single trigger, straight stock, and beavertail forend. However, Parker factory production records have identified guns as early as 1929 as having “skeet-in/skeet-out” chokes.
The A.H. Fox Skeeter was introduced in 1931 and the Sterlingworth Skeet and Upland in 1935, with automatic ejectors, Fox-Kautzky selective single trigger, beavertail forend, recoil pad, and ivory beads.
The Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works Skeet-er appeared in 1933, and the Ithaca Lefever Grade A Skeet Model with automatic ejectors, straight stock, beavertail forend, and skeet chokes followed in 1934.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why did it take Ithaca from 1926 until 1934 to figure out that Full/Mod choking did not a skeet gun make?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot skeet with full or mod chokes all the time, when i miss it is usually by feet and the chokes at those ranges give me inches. I would rather have fun with a neat gun than run 25 with a target gun, not that I run many 25's either way. I am a pretty consistent 18-22 most days, but my guns look great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeet shooters had a reputation for being kind of snooty, a trapshooter would talk to anybody.

That sounds absolutely backwards.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.