March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Argo44, DaveB, graybeardtmm3, Kip, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce), 803 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I just posted this on the Reilly line but it's such a neat little gun, I thought I'd make a separate post here:

Holt's has this small Reilly percussion gun for sale SN 7021 advertised as a "boy's percussion 20 bore." LOP looks to be about 12" - it doesn't look cut down although Holt's doesn't show the whole barrel. If you ever wanted your son to get into percussion guns, this would be perfect. Whatever, it is now the earliest SN in the J.C. Reilly "7000 " series which he started in about 1846 and which continued until his retirement in 1857. 7023 was the pervious earliest in this series.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...+++524+&refno=++168575&saletype=

RREILLY, LONDON
A 20-BORE PERCUSSION SINGLE-BARRELLED SPORTING-GUN FOR A BOY, serial no. 7021,
for between 1835-47, with round twist 27in. barrel engraved with a starburst at breech and marked 'LONDON', long, engraved top-tang, borderline and scroll engraved back-action lock signed 'REILLY', engraved dolphin-headed hammer, walnut half-stock chequered at the wrist, engraved iron furniture and brass tipped ebony ramrod, 41 1/2in. overall, weight approx. 4 1/2lbs

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by Argo44; 08/18/21 05:42 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

What condition! Thanks for posting.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

I don't know Stanton. My experience with corresponding with Holt's has been checkered. In another advertisement for a Reilly percussion gun in the same auction SN 5580 (which seems very similar to my own 5512), they have totally butchered the Reilly History, starting with some of my stuff...wandering over to IGC history written in 2002 and then falling off into fable. Also Holts has made errors in posting serial numbers in the past. Certainly there is nothing in the ad about condition, in particular the bore. They will respond to written queries though.

There a lot more photos on the site than usual for Holts...none of course of things like proof marks.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/18/21 07:11 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm going by the pictures, Gene. The condition I see in the pictures is fabulous for a 175 yr. old gun ............ of any type. It has to be refinished, but still very nice. And, useless to me with a 12" LOP.

Last edited by Stanton Hillis; 08/19/21 06:40 AM. Reason: additional info

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

During their last two auctions they did a good job answering my questions and sent me detailed condition reports with more data than requested.

My good luck with Holt’s maybe an aberration, but it was good.

How good I will know in a few months when the importation is completed. The last pair I brought from them a few-years ago was good.

I have also found Gavin Gardiner good to deal with on two different purchases. I found Gavin Gardiner going out of his way to explain the downside on one shotgun.

Argo as for their lack of Reilly knowledge, I doubt they have the same passion or drive to research Reilly that you do. I thank again for your help in the past with my Reilly BLNE

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hope you get it. I think it is very neat.

Argo44 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Well, I'm not going to bid on it...I've reached my maximum (spouse's) capacity..(and my boys are 6'1" now and grown)..I recorded the gun particularly because it changed the dating chart...not dates but earliest serial numbers. And I agree it has to have been reconditioned. But since it would be shot...not collected I assume...not a problem.

I've sent Holt's my history and serial number dating chart twice. They use the latter and bits of the former but can't bring themselves to accept it. I guess it has to be in print to be true.

Last edited by Argo44; 08/19/21 03:22 AM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely little gun. These boy's guns were used by various members of the family as they grew into them as an introduction to shooting. Usually purchased by wealthy families they were often of very high quality. By a coincidence I picked up one such 'boy's' gun a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't resist it although went to look at another gun. This one is a 28 bore breech loading back action hammer gun with top lever by Clarke of Leicester which I can date to exactly 1897. I just measured it and weighed it out of curiosity; it weighs 3lb. 5oz. 13 inch LOP and a 28 1/2" Damascus barrel. Black powder proof only. I made up some 28 bore Magtech rounds and had a few shots through it last Sunday. Will try to post a picture when my camera problem is sorted. Fairly scarce but worth looking out for. Lagopus…..

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.