April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,172 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,841
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#601158 08/09/21 09:57 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, as well as any sort of combination gun. I've wanted one for quite some time, and so ordered a left hand Merkel B4 in 12 ga / 223 Rem. I've been incredibly impressed with the gun in its accuracy, ergonomics, and overall feel. They really are pretty great, and I'm really looking forward to hunting with it.

But... I have encountered one issue with decocking. Simply put, the gun will not decock when I try using the thumb cocker. For the first while, it worked. Then it did not. The issue eventually resolved itself, and it all worked fine. Now unfortunately the issue has come back.

It will auto decock when I unlock the firearm, or when I partially unlock it, I can ride the slide down in a more normal decock.

Has anyone experienced this, or have any particular idea what's going on? Am I doing something incorrectly?

I have added a link to YouTube of a video of what is going on, if that helps clarify. https://youtube.com/shorts/YYliezN2USA?feature=share

Thank in advance for any help you can give. Overall I quite like this gun, I would just really like to know how to resolve this. I've sent an email to Merkel as well, so will keep this thread posted if I hear from them.

Last edited by ianfroese; 08/09/21 09:57 PM.
ianfroese #601160 08/09/21 10:25 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello
and welcome on your first posting

https://www.merkel-die-jagd.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Instruction-manual-B3-B4-Englisch.pdf

Review 2.3.2

I would think that a disassembly and good cleaning would rid the gun of manufacturing residue and allow
the de-cocking to function again

Mike

Last edited by skeettx; 08/09/21 10:26 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
ianfroese #601164 08/10/21 10:35 AM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks skeettx,

I've thought about taking the gun down, and think you are correct that it may help clean up anything leftover from manufacturing.

I've never taken apart a combination gun to the trigger group, if you can call it that. I am quite comfortable disassembling pistols, bolt guns, AR15's and the like right down to nothing, however I always have had a parts diagram in case things go sideways. I have not been able to find anything like that for the Merkel B4, so I guess the question is what are the odds I will mess something up digging into those internals? From the very few diagrams of break actions that I've seen, it can get a touch complicated inside. Surprise springs are always unwelcome, ha.

On another note, just after I finished writing the first post, the decocking situation resolved itself again, and I can decock again. Based on what I was doing when it resolved, I'm thinking it will either be a "break in" process that will resolve itself permanently, or I will need to open it up and clean the cocking slide and whatever detent is responsible up.

ianfroese #601175 08/10/21 04:42 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

ianfroese,
Don't worry, there is very little you can do to the gun( unless you try) that someone else can't fix. Just be sure screwdrivers fit the slots, even if you have to re-grind/file them to fit. Remember: pins go in right to left and come out left to right, and screws are likely marked as to which side they go in( a line filed on the end is for one side, no line is the other side, if there are 3 identical screws the odd one will likely have a X). Different people might use different systems, so look at the ends when you take the first ones out. If you put them back in the wrong place, the slots won't line up and engraving won't match up. Dovetails go in and out the same as pins. Good luck.

Mike

Der Ami #601182 08/10/21 07:04 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Der Ami! I'm thinking I'll fill my phone with photos as I go, so I can hopefully remember what goes where. Hopefully I'll be able to find some time to do a full take down this week.

Again thanks for the solid tips!

Ian

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.