March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Stanton Hillis, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 891 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
Stan, Brister is 'pre-Jones' data. And pre-Winston.

That's like pre-Copernicus astronomy, haven't you heard?

I know who Jones, and Winston, are. I think you meant that tongue-in-cheek.(?) Did they disprove anything that Brister postulated?

Anyway, I'm not quite ready to accept that Brister's work is outdated. When it comes to shotguns he's been there and done it.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Drew, for finding and posting the link to that 2017 thread. Verrrry interesting.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot hundreds of patterns on a pattern plate in everything from 10 to .410. Most were decent with a few just terrible and a few great. You learn a lot about gun fit, hold points and how patterns change over distance. I even learned that I needed to allow for shot drop at long ranges which many seem to think pattern expansion make it unnecessary. I learned that aimed shots and quickly mounted and shot shots were very different.

When you get to the .410 you will find loads which seem very effective look fairly bland or even borderline bad on the plate. Don’t worry about it. And when you see how small the pattern diameter is it will be hard not to try to aim it in the future. I’ve never found the perfect gauge, the perfect choke or barrel. I did come across a mod 1100 barrel which threw almost perfect patterns with everything from 9’s down to 2’s and from 7/8 ounce up to 1 1/2 ounce. But that was a rare barrel.

I love it when people start imploring math or magically properties to patterns. I’ve killed a lot of ducks with the 28, with lead shot in my youth, but never found the magic load. Lead was my magic along with reflexes of youth and a steady supply of ducks to shoot under 30 yards. So I read all these articles about patterns with interest but know there is no one answer. Just like today’s hyper velocity loads are the rage but when I pattern them they never look that great. Again the hope that math conquers all. Being able to have your point of impact be where your aim point is more important to me than the theoretical distribution of random pellets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OTOH it does seem worthwhile to at least attempt to verify one's theories and earnest beliefs, or read the work of those that have done so.

Richard P. Feynman, Professor of Theoretical Physics at the California Institute of Technology; Albert Einstein Award (1954, Princeton) and The Nobel Prize in Physics, 1965
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it’s wrong.”

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool.”

Sidelock
Sidelock

That’s a fact Drew

We were taught, to “only see what is there, and not see what isn’t there…”

Truthfully, if a person makes that mistake, as soon as you submit it for review, somebody’s going to hand you your head. Ideas nowadays in whatever topic, get floated across the globe, and there are always people out there digging in, and checking your work.

One of my kids is a frequently published neuroscientist, there are peopleOn every continent that are desperate to show you that you were wrong. It’s what keeps science moving forward.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
….Truthfully, if a person makes that mistake, as soon as you submit it for review, somebody’s going to hand you your head. Ideas nowadays in whatever topic, get floated across the globe, and there are always people out there digging in, and checking your work….
If the “science” is politicized, all bets are off. There is no honest way that most covid guidelines would pass peer review, none.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure Craig.
They are all lying self serving idiots.

Now is the time for the unsubscribe button.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

One of my kids is a frequently published neuroscientist, there are peopleOn every continent that are desperate to show you that you were wrong.

Now, that is a "sentence" that is just hard to figure the meaning of, I don't care how much you fool yourself. Maybe a neuroscientist could decipher it ...........

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sure Craig.
They are all lying self serving idiots.

Now is the time for the unsubscribe button.
I don't think so, but yes some are. Worship the the ever vigilant and safety driven for the peace of mind they meter out, then swing by petri dish grocery store for upland bird fixings? Just kidding, we trust the uber eats drivers for their impecable hygiene.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan, I think that CZ means that scientists are a highly competitive and critical bunch, delighted to pick holes in each other's arguments and data. Hence the self-correcting nature of science - if you are wrong, your colleagues will be delighted to point out your mistakes. Much better to find them yourself before publishing; it saves a lot of embarrassment. In a huge field like neuroscience, there are thousands of very smart people in Europe, Asia, and North America scrutinizing each other's work.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.