March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (12boreman, craigd, Owenjj3, NCTarheel, 2 invisible), 396 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,006
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#600514 07/30/21 10:17 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Another "don't know where to put this" type of comment. Figured I'd put it here since many load for the old BP cartridges. Perhaps this will get some search engine hits and help spread the word.

Accurate/Hodgdon has this to say about 5744:

Accurate 5744 is an extremely fast burning, double-base, extruded powder. This unique powder can be used in a wide range of rifle calibers and magnum handguns. 5744 is characterized by excellent ignition and consistency over a very wide performance range. Low bulky density and superior ignition characteristics make 5744 an excellent choice for reduced loads in many rifle calibers and in large capacity black powder cartridges such as the 45-70 through 45-120 and 50-90 through 50-120. Made in Canada.

I've only recently started using 5744, but one thing that is clear and obvious is that the claim of 'low bulk density' is simply incorrect.

I've verified that the listed 'volumetric density' on the Lee chart is correct.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/docs/products/LE~90058.pdf

In fact, AA 5744 is DENSER than either IMR 3031 or IMR 4198, both powders commonly used to load the 45-70 as is AA 5744.

Careless hand loaders have come to grief double charging these cases. If you think 'low bulk density' as claimed by Accurate/Hodgdon will help you in any way to avoid an accident with AA 5744 you are mistaken. In fact, the very low charge weight and high charge efficiency is actually working against you and making a double charge even more possible if you aren't PAYING ATTENTION.

Be careful, as always, with any powder that could possibly double charge a case. This is of course not unique to BP rifle calibers, it's a long standing issue with pistol calibers.

And I should say here to cover all the bases that AA 5744 is NOT a 'volume for volume' black powder substitute as one fellow found out when he listened to some genius who told him it was. A full case destroyed a rifle.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I won't use it. Did you read this thread? 5744

Sidelock
Sidelock

I wont use 5744, as there have been enough documented cases of old guns blowing up while using 5744 to make me afraid of it. Not a fan of double base powders in general, and lots of better choices for loading mild loads in my old single shot rifles.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LRF
I won't use it. Did you read this thread? 5744

I did see that thread but I have no access to the subsequent forensic report.

My personal use is for a Shiloh, and I'm not the least bit concerned about the powder in this application if loaded correctly.

The point is that 'low density' is not a feature of this product in spite of what the manufacturer claims.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I suppose the old adage "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink" is appropriate here.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use it a good bit in old cartridges. Just be careful ( as with any powder) and remember what you can lose trying to get an extra 100 fps you don't need.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a long time member and competitor in cast bullet matches and 5744 has been a very popular powder, especially in the military rifle matches and many records have been set using it. The original surplus 5744 was really good and it was cheap when it came out. Some of the new made lots may not be quite so great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been pleased with 5744 reloads using cast bullets for velocities under 2,000 f.p.s. One does need to be careful not to 'double-charge" a case.

I have never used it to reload shot shells.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by gold40
I have never used it to reload shot shells.

AA5744 is not a shotgun powder.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

After a further search to see if any shotgun loads have been developed for AA5744, none are found.

It shows a burn rate just slower than IMR 4227, the slowest powder commonly used in shotshells (410). It could possibly have loads developed for it by a ballistics lab for that application, but no such loads are evident in the publications.

AA/Hodgdon also state AA5744 is 'an extremely fast burning double based powder' which is untrue unless qualified buy the term 'extruded'. It is a fast stick powder, but slow compared with EVERY powder used in shot shells.

This article in Gun Digest buys into the low density claim:

https://gundigest.com/gear-ammo/reloading/accurate-5744-powder-versatility-in-a-bottle

To quote the article:

"The size of the extruded grains of Accurate 5744 are significantly larger than those of most other extruded powders, and that additional bulk takes up enough room in the big cases so that no filler is required."

AA/Hodgdon DO recommend against fillers, but the statement about additional bulk is simply false.

Makes one wonder how or why Gun Digest wrote this. It's certainly not the result any independent work on their part, they are just parroting incorrect information from the powder manufacturer.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.