March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ed good
great car stories...

anybody else here remember floor starters and steering column throttles?

I remember floor-mounted high beams.
The Army had to move steering wheel-mounted high beam switches on vehicles back to the floor because Texas Aggie officers kept getting their foot stuck in the steering wheel and wrecking out.

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
How many of us remember the "Blue Flame Six"?
Not a "Blue Flame Six" but a "Thriftmaster" Six that was in my '51 Chevy pickup truck as seen below.

I was the 3rd owner of the truck that I bought from a guy in Long Beach CA.

You'll see it has many of the features you guys are talking about.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just a note, Kaylie Browning of Arkansas won silver in women's trap shooting a Krieghoff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
Foxy, we're running out of readers who know what "Blue Flame Meister" even means.
I'll take a stab at it....

"Blue Flame Master" was it the guy that put his arse up in the air held a match about 6 inches from his arse and let wind ?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
...was it the guy that put his arse up in the air ...and let wind ?

No, that was jOe posting again on the DGS BBS.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, did you do the work. It's really a pretty truck. A few years ago I found a 1963 Studebaker Avanti that is a survivor with all original exterior and interior. No air conditioning, so don't drive it much, but I wanted one ever since , in 1963 , a salesman took me and a friend on a test drive. The salesman was driving on one of those hilly , bumpy Iowa roads and I saw the speedometer get to 130 mph. I wanted out. The speedometer went to 160 mph, but thankfully the driver didn't try for that.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
Bill, did you do the work. It's really a pretty truck. A few years ago I found a 1963 Studebaker Avanti that is a survivor with all original exterior and interior. No air conditioning, so don't drive it much, but I wanted one ever since , in 1963 , a salesman took me and a friend on a test drive. The salesman was driving on one of those hilly , bumpy Iowa roads and I saw the speedometer get to 130 mph. I wanted out. The speedometer went to 160 mph, but thankfully the driver didn't try for that.

Supercharged?

“When faith is lost, when honor dies, the man is dead” - John Greenleaf Whittier
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a '54 Chevy longbed 3/4 ton truck for many years. Only one I've ever seen. Had a 4 speed with factory floor shifter and a "granny gear". Thriftmaster 235 engine. I kept the original 6 volt cranking and charging system in it. It was bought new by a black neighbor of mine who kept it in perfect shape until he died. It had a throttle knob in the dash that would lock the rpms at whatever you wanted them to be. I remember him driving it to our corn fields after we combined them and getting it straddle of two rows, then locking the throttle at a high idle in first gear and getting out and walking along behind it picking up lodged ears of corn and throwing them over into the bed, as the truck pulled itself slowly along towards the other end of the field. It was all original with no rust. Neighbor had done an amazing job of preserving it.

A fellow would drive by on the highway and see it under my shed and stop occasionally to ask if I'd sell it. I always answered "No". After years of asking he stopped one day and wrote something on a little piece of paper, folded it, and handed it to me. It was a price offer and his phone number. I kept it and it weighed on my mind, as it was a very good offer. I eventually called him and we did the deal. I think he was the kind of guy to take care of it.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
I didn't do a thing to it Daryl. That's just the way I bought it in the summer of 1995.

Xerox, my employer sent me and another guy out to El Segundo CA to visit a supplier. I seen it out there and it was for sale. I bought it as a retirement gift for me and had it shipped home here in upstate NY.

I never did a thing to it except drive it and added gas and oil. Had it 16 years and sold it ($10K) for twice what I paid ($5K) for it.

So Daryl, you still have your Avanti? Good for you. I worked with a guy who had a super clean one, drove it and kept it that way. Not many of those around.

I miss my truck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, it was an R2 which was supercharged. The R1 was "normal" and the speedometer only went to 140.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.