March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (lagopus, Marc Ret, Argo44, 3 invisible), 290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

that is the opposite of the timing on most ejector guns the gun cocks the tumbler then ejects you don't push the barrels all the way open to cock the tumblers.if you had a problem of this gun fireing because it wasn't pushed open all the way I would have it fixed or not use it some one will get hurt

1 member likes this: SKB
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I will agree with Mark on this. You may not be able to see any wear but it is out of time. Have a knowledgeable smith look it over before something terrible happens. I'm not taking anymore repair work in this year but several ACGG members may be able to help you.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

I own Stephen Grant SLE 6030 (side lever no 2 of a pair) delivered to it's original owner on 8 August 1889. This gun has the first series Stephen Grant ejector system which was designed by Stephen Grant the younger. Your 1894 Grant likely has the second series ejector system that does not require the tumblers (hammers) to have a cam shoulder at the bottom of the tumbler to move the ejector tripper arm to the left or right when the gun is fired--this was a significant improvement over the first series Grant ejector system. On my gun that I bought from Thad Scott about 20 years ago I had to completely rebuild the ejector and locks (new tumblers, bridles, ejector cocking links, cocking arms, locking bolts and a number of other parts) to restore it to first class position. I sent the gun over to England to reproofed for 2 3/4 inch and re-engraved the action afterwards.

I suspect that your Stephen Grant needs new cocking levers which are not difficult to make. I make them of O-1 alloy steel and would recommend to you that you ask your gunmaker to do the same. Of course, there may be other issues that need re-building as well.

Those of you who are reading this comment, will wonder why would I rebuild and restore my Stephen Grant and spend the great deal of time to do so and that is a very good question. Here is the answer. When I viewed the photos of Stephen Grant 6030 sent to me by Thad Scott I immediately saw that this Grant sidelever did not look like as it should--- it looked like a Boss gun--no fluted fences. When I received the Grant from Thad there was a whole litany of things wrong with it, but I wanted to disassemble the gun first before I sent it back to him (which I did not) and to see if it was what I suspected it to be (a John Robertson built Stephen Grant gun) Upon disassembly and examining the inside of the rear of the action there just as I expected was the stamped initials of John Robertson (J.R.) So what I received from Thad was a Grant gun that needed a complete repair (that I could do without spending thousands of dollars having done by another) and I also had what Donald Dallas told me later in a letter (and 2 years ago at the Southern side by side) the earliest known prototype of what would later be John Robertson's famous Boss SLE. --The action of my Grant has Chilton locks that are so early that they arre without a tumbler forward stop/anvil; and has the classic Boss style intercepting sears.

10 years ago I stopped by Boss workshop at Kew Bridge north of London and showed them the photos of my Stephen Grant 6030 of 1889 and they were equally amazed as I was when I received it from Thad.

Before I forget about it I need to say that this Grant SLE does not have the original barrels but was re-barreled (30 inch) in 1970 by someone in the UK and London proofed at 2 1/2 inch; and as I have stated above I had it reproofed for 2 3/4 inch --Malcolm Cruxton who shop is still even today in Price Street, Birmingham, England prepared the gun for proof for me as well as sending it to one of his friends for re-blacking of the barrels as I have never learned the secret of how the Johnson's and his grandson are able to get the perfect gloss finish on rust blued barrels--I can almost get there but not quite perfect as Mr.Paul Stevens does it today.

If you want to ask me specific questions about the task that your Grant likely needs just send me a PM and if you want a discussion send me your phone number in the PM and I will call you.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 07/24/21 04:05 PM.
2 members like this: Dr. P, susjwp
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do you have pictures?

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mr.bushveld does your grant cock the tumblers before ejecting?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
Mr.bushveld does your grant cock the tumblers before ejecting?

mc; Yes, it does cock before ejecting. I made the tumblers as well as the cocking levers to make certain that it did cock before ejecting. However, even the old tumblers and cocking levers cocked before ejecting as they should have done--there were other problems with their condition that caused me to replace them as well as the bridles which were cracked. I made the new bridles without tear drop opening slightly thicker to increase their strength--and as with the cocking levers I made them of O-1 alloy steel.

Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 07/24/21 03:44 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
Do you have pictures?

mc; I will look and see if I have some photos, I am certain that I have some photos when I completed the re-engraving. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a email and attach the photo.

I looked in my old electronic files and I have photos of how the first series Grant locks and ejector links as well as a photo of the John Robertson initials in the back of the action. Also before and after the action was re-engraved. I can send these to you as well.

Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 07/24/21 05:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shot and hunted vintage guns for quite a few years....I got rid of all mine mainly because the two people that were close by that could repair them were gone.

One thing I came away with.....

Guns that old are past their intended service life.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
I shot and hunted vintage guns for quite a few years....I got rid of all mine mainly because the two people that were close by that could repair them were gone.

One thing I came away with.....

Guns that old are past their intended service life.

An ignorant statement as usual. I find that vintage guns serve my needs quite well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Try getting off that fat arse of yours frAnk and putting some time in the field.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Im sure they do....an occasional plink and a few photo ops.

What do you think the intended service life of a gun is ?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.