March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#599995 07/23/21 09:53 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At the Medford shoot my Nephew experienced 4 occasions where the gun fired upon closing. 1 with the right and 3 on the left He said that his finger was nowhere near the triggers and the safety was on safe. ( very experienced shooter). I used the gun for over 150 shots and had no problems. Owned this for over 8 years without a problem. I tried to duplicate this condition and firing the gun with snap caps removing the locks for inspection after each cycle duplicated the condition 1 time. By not opening the gun fully after ejection the sear was not engaged and the safety sear was just barely engaged. I think he opened the gun just far enough to trip the ejectors and did not complete the cocking sequence. He held the gun in is left and his right just behind the breech to cup the shells upon ejection and did not open the gun fully all of the time. The sequence must be preformed properly to safely operate it. I will pay attention to this the future and hope the problem has been identified. Is my conclusion sound?

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The timing may indeed be off slightly in the gun. The ejectors should trip at the same time or slightly after the gun comes to full cock.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thank's SKB I had not considered that. My Gant is 127 years old after all.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eric: Obviously not a Grant, but one of my farm implement ejector Smith guns fired on closing. This is David Williamson's image and upper edge of the sear, after thousands of shots (and usually the right), can become rounded.
As you observed, if the barrels are not fully opened, the sear is not fully seated in the notch. Smiths often need an extra effort at the end while opening the barrels, after the ejectors have tripped, to fully cock the hammers.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The cure is a very good gunsmith with a small file wink and giving the barrels that extra push.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As mentioned the timing on these guns are sensitive and if off by a very small amount can be a problem. I had a high end Garbi that 1 side sometime failed to cock completely but the safety sear was pushed into place.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun should cock. and you can feel it .then it should eject it should not eject then cock the tumbler .i wouldn't mess with the the sear and bent I would look at the ejector in the forend .and I wouldn't modif a working part to make a worn one work

Sidelock
Sidelock

May I ask which style of ejectors?

If like the Southgate, the above is highly likely.

If Grant patent ejectors (look for cylinder), then take a look at the whole system. These had a coil spring. If that isn’t the right metal with the right tension…

Last edited by Montana; 07/23/21 01:43 PM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Baker south gate and deeley the sear goes in the bent then it ejects I don't know why any ejector would be timed any different I have never worked on a grant PaT .ejector but I don't see why it would be timed not to cock the action first

Sidelock
Sidelock

Grant is like the Boss and the Baker I guess. The problem is the Grant mechanism is not robust. They frequently were also added after the fact.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Drew. that is my line of thought. That the gun has to be fully opened after the ejectors activate to bring the hammers and sears to full engagement. If not fully opened it could be like short stroking a pump gun. There must be a reason for the barrel stop to allow the hammer and sears to come to full engagement. On the rare occasion if I feel that I have not performed the cocking sequence after ejection I close the gun and repeat the process and then load the next shells. The one time I duplicated the condition the cycle was not finished, not allowing the gun to come to full cock. As I said this gun has never given my any problems. Montana, the gun has the Grant patent ejectors used prior to 1895 when they transitioned to the simpler and more reliable ejector system. Finish and tolerances of the cocking parts have a very small window to time the cycle. The parts do not exhibit any wear that I can note. Everything operates freely and smoothly.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.