April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Lloyd3, Jtplumb, eightbore, Researcher, Buzz, 1 invisible), 223 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,462
Posts545,019
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#599152 07/06/21 08:24 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is there any source for Hull shells in the USA? I have used some in the long past and would like to try some of their newer offerings.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

No, there is not. It is unfortunate, really good hunting cartridges. With current freight costs, even by sea, I do not see the situation changing anytime soon.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

It can't be freight charges that make these unavailable.

Shells from Italy and Spain seem to show up here in quantity, at least in normal times.

Eley used to have an importer, but he gave up a long time ago.

Export does not seem to be a goal for UK cartridge makers.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

All true but in the past year freight charges have skyrocketed and with this added burden I do not expect to see many UK made cartridges on the US market anytime soon.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

On this side of the pond Hull Cartridge have always had a good reputation for having a top quality product second to none their cartridges do what they say on the box unlike other makers, I have always used hull cartridges on guns having 2 1/2 inch chamber's because other makers do not stick strictly to the cartridge dimensions.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In the photograph are the black a Hull and the blue is an Eley both are sold as 2 1/2 inch though as you can see the Eley cartridge end had entered the forcing cone increasing the recoil enough to rattle my teeth, so if you have a valued gun with 2 1/2 inch chambers here Hull cartridges are a must go to and use.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Just back from a hunt in the COVID-19 Delta Variant rich environment of South Africa. Bumped into a South African competition shooter that gave me a couple flats slabs of cartridges. Now the Hull >>Sovereign Extended Range<< were lovely indeed, but I just cannot say enough about the GameBore Black Gold >>Dark Storm<<.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Spanish made Blazer badged 34 gramme #4s were just excellent on all large fowl. And really nothing short about the 28 gramme version either.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, I wonder if something else isn’t going on with the ammo you illustrated. I’ve always shot 2 3/4” in all my 2 1/2” chambers and I’ve never had ragged hull mouths or noticeably increased recoil. And most of my guns have not had the original chambers altered so original forcing cones. And they date from 1869 to post war.

I should add that all of the stuff I shoot are reloaded and loaded to very moderate pressures and from 7/8 ounce to 1 ounce in my 12’s. If I had a hull look like that blue one it would scare hell out of me. But still….

Last edited by Joe Wood; 07/07/21 10:13 AM.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.