March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (fuhrmann, earlyriser), 694 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Nylon 66 was the first gun I ever fired, owned by my uncle and plenty of fun through my teen years. They have a strong collector market when in good shape, rare colors bring more.

I won't be adding a white line spacer to the Rigby pattern 98 I'm building currently but on the old Nylon 66 they are right at home.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Fray-Mershon “White Line” pad was patented in 1937
https://patents.google.com/patent/US2091010A/en

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

A white line pad on a Purdey?? Sort of like seeing a Porsche 911 with a pair of giant white dice hanging from the rear view mirror.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Carl46
That was a bit tongue in cheek. If you like the Nylon 66, you will love the white spacer and the white diamond on the fore end. ;-)

I never wanted a Nylon 66, but they were quite popular in their day. Remington sold thousands of them. They had kind of a space age look, which appealed to some. Some others liked the Ruger 10/22 and the Marlin M1, which looked like M1 carbines, and some preferred the Marlin 39 for its Western look. Now a lot of people buy .22s that look like ARs. As the postman said, "To each his zone."

None of this affects shooting. We don't see the butt while shooting, any more than we see the whitewall tires while driving.

Carl, I was just thinking about how I was attracted to that Nylon 66 in my youth and I suppose if I were young now I'd most likely be clamoring for black guns and firepower. Glad it didn't work out that way.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Earlier than I thought.

Thanks for sharing the research.

How is a Nylon 66 anything but beautiful?

Remarkable design for 1959.

Wayne Leek worked on that. He also designed the 1100.

I have a Nylon 66 just because everyone should have one.

Never thought it especially accurate but if you miss you have a whole tube of fast backup shots.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
Earlier than I thought.

Thanks for sharing the research.

How is a Nylon 66 anything but beautiful?

Remarkable design for 1959.

Wayne Leek worked on that. He also designed the 1100.

I have a Nylon 66 just because everyone should have one.

Never thought it especially accurate but if you miss you have a whole tube of fast backup shots.

When I was a kid, it came to me fairly quickly on that people who built stuff didn’t build stuff out of plastic to make it better.

I had that figured out, with all my neighborhood buddies, by about age 7. My Dad helped, but, I knew.

A Nylon 66 isn’t beautiful. I never wanted one. I wanted a Belgium built Browning auto .22, grade two. I wanted that from about age 7.

I still don’t have it. But, the good news is I don’t have a Nylon 66, deliberately, or by accident, either.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually have a Nylon 66. My brother bought one in 1964 and used it for the rest of his life. His widow gave it to me a few months ago. It still works. I'll probably take it out and shoot some squirrels this fall in his memory.

My father in law had a Browning .22 auto. Went well with his Sweet Sixteen, Light 12, and BAR. Beautiful little rifle (no white line pad), but I never cared for the way it put hot brass down the left sleeve with its bottom ejector.

I live in a place where squirrel season is 8 months long and the daily limit is 10. I can justify almost any number of rimfire rifles, and a pistol or two.

Caution: Hunting and fishing stories told here. Protective footgear may be required.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My Dad had a Remington 241, which, was a man sized rifle, nowhere near as petite as the Browning, but, they functioned identically. You can figure out how to avoid the hot brass. By the time I was old enough to have the scratch for the Browning, it dawned on me that the thing was just too little, and I really didn’t want it anymore.

My son owns the 241 that my Dad bought new in 1947. I own a Remington 552 and a Remington 581. None of them have white line spacers.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

There is nothing especially demeaning about owning a Nylon 66, IMO. My wife owns an Apache Black model I gave her new about 1972, after she proved to me she could kill bullfrogs with a shot to the white throat patch, with very few misses. She liked the looks of them and I got her one. She once killed 13 frogs with 14 shots with hers. It has now pretty much been relegated to the status of "armadillo gun". She's 70, and night before last she set her alarm for 3 a.m. and got up, got her rechargeable spotlight and her .22, and did a walkabout around the yard looking for armadillos.

They're not target guns, and they aren't for purists, but they are dog nuts dependable, and there's been a many a one of them used on Alaskan traplines for dispatching furbearers. Not to mention gators in the bayous and sloughs, squirrels, rabbits, whatever.

AFA dependability goes, maybe someone is old enough to remember this, I do, ........ in 1959 Tom Frye set a record by shooting 100,004 two and half inch wooden blocks, thrown into the air, with Nylon 66s, out of a total of 100,010 thrown. Only six misses. I can't remember the dependability factor of the rifles used but AIR it was very high. There was a picture published by Remington that showed Tom sitting on the pile of blocks with a 66.

I was given a Nylon 11 for Christmas in 1965, when I was 14. It was a bolt action, clip fed model. Futuristic styling, but very dependable and plenty accurate for any small game hunting.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I was a kid, and the Nylon 66 was relatively new, I had a Cooey Model 60 bolt action repeater. I only remember seeing the brown model of Nylon 66 among my friends.
The kids with a Nylon 66 were always out of ammo, and seemed to think that I should share with them.
That wasn't ever going to happen.
The Cooey .22 is long gone, but I was a happy kid with a $5 gun, bought from a mechanic who worked for my Dad.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.