March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
11 members (cable, craigd, battle, AZMike, FlyChamps, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 378 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,008
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

several questions/comments....as i am currently pursuing a simson/jaeger with herold markings, and there's not a wealth of information re these interesting guns;

does this gun have the "herold" marking? i understand that jaeger produced guns into the early 1930's, but i have never seen one of the verschluss guns with a serial number as high as this example. i note the suhl "nitro" marks, so assume it's 1912 or later, but don't see the german date stamp (starting 1924?)....but there are some marks obscured by later british stamps....and i see the crown & R's, but don't see the usual cross and letter/number stamp that would indicate date of british reproof.

at any rate it is a handsome gun, and for me, an interesting variation....and i hope you enjoy it.

best regards,
tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

while i was considering this simson/jager https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893510026 which was nice, but over priced (imo - seller didn't seem to think so....)

i stumbled onto this example, in a shop in new york state https://gunsandbows.net/product/fra...l-length-is-28-34-serial-number9944-617/

it is in nice shape, with an amazing amount of case colors intact....seller says 2.75" chambers - but that remains to be seen. seller has sent me several decent cell phone photos of the action body - but none of proofs. interestingly, the floor plate has the typical "herold" markings, but not the "simson jager verschluss" markings that (usually) accompany the former.

at any rate, fellow was nice and helpful...price seems reasonable, and payment was sent yesterday....we shall see.

best regards,
tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

i have in hand the jager "herold" 12g referenced above. the gun is in astonishing condition, as close to 100% cc as i can imagine, neither wood nor metal show any significant usage. original horn buttplate is gone....cut to 14.2 inches on a pachmayr recoil pad (at least it's not a white line...) otherwise the gun appears untouched, all screws are clean, and contrary to what the seller told me it is an ejector gun - the extractors fit so tightly on their face that at a glance they appear to be a single piece of metal. he had also told me it was a 2&3/4 chambered gun, but it is still 65mm with unaltered cones. FLUSSTAHL KRUPP ESSEN...bores measure .721-2, and chokes at left 40 thou, and right 25 thou...6# 13oz and nicely balanced. judging from the jager catalogs, i believe it to be a model 3E, with ornamented side clips and the typical "catseyes". judging by my searches, side clips and ejectors seem to always be together.

gun has typical post 1912 - pre 1924 suhl proofs....but there are two marks that i am curious about; chambers are marked with 12 encircled, and beside them are 13 with what at a glance looks like 13/1....but on closer inspection it appears to be 13 with a script M, almost touching the 13. have never seen this mark - could it mean muzzle? that would be accurate for the left bore, not so much for the right.

and the second question regards two stampings "GERMANY" in very small block letters; once on the barrel at 9 o'clock on the left chamber area, and another in the wood near the end of the left side panel (about where a tear drop would be found on an english gun). those would seem to indicate the gun was intended for export, and may not be original factory markings (?).

at any rate it is a lovely gun, with dimensions that seem to fit me nicely, and i am pleased to have found a nice example of something i have looked for several years.

best regards,
tom

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great to hear, show us some pics. I have yet to find or hear of these guns being loose or off face. Congrats!

Sidelock
Sidelock

greybeardtmm3,
The 12 in a circle shows the gun has( at time of proof) a standard 12 ga( 65mm) chamber. The 13/1 is the diameter of the bore, ahead of the chamber, expressed in gauge measurement and works out to 18.26mm.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

I owned a 12 GA Franz Jaeger Herold in the same configuration except my gun had a thumb decocking button that acted as a safety. a n outstanding shotgun. if it had been a 16 bore I would never have donated it to the RGS banquet. My gun was very light for a twelve GA. That is why I gave it away. I showed the gun to Detric and he told me some things about it. congratulation on getting a fine gun.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.