March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mike325 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
Great set of 3 Ringe tubes that wear a Sauer Quality Stamp & it would be sacrilege to alter them. As Ford said >>FA<< notes effort by a Suhl mechanic & I would say Adamy as I have seen many sets of >>FA<< initials on the flats but not on the wood as I recall. With the >>Nitro<< low on the flats it will date to towards the end of WWI up to 1923.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Thx Raimey. We can safely cross modifying chambers off the list as I definitely won't do it thx to your input and the other helpful posts from others above, which I much appreciate.

Is the quality stamp the crown? Also re the initials I noticed that the end of the "A" (and a presumed period after it) are cut off by the checkering. Also the "J.S." Initials appear to be centered on the sling mount and not centered on the checkering. I wonder does this indicate the letters were stamped on the stock before checkering was done? Also I noticed the "AZ" mark/initial inside a circle/oval on the receiver. I wonder what that is? Thx!

Sidelock
Sidelock

AZ would have been the frame filer or actioner. I believe I have seen such several times.

Adolf Zehner
August Ziegler
August Zimmerman

Are a couple guesses.

Yes the Crown & probably a quality crown although it could be an accuracy crown.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

1 member likes this: Mike325
Mike325 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

FYI it looks like I was wrong about the period after "A" being cut off by the checkering. I looked under the forend today and same initials are there and no period after the "A"
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike, I don’t want to open a can of worms here but you can safely shoot 2 3/4” shells in your gun without any alterations. In fact, several American makers in that time frame cut their chambers short but recommended shooting the longer shells. They wanted the hull to open inside the forcing cone in front of the chamber feeling that provided a better gas seal upon firing. And chamber pressures do not increase significantly. Out of respect for the age of the gun you might only use ammunition listed with no more than 3 dram equivalent and no more than 1 1/8 oz shot though I prefer no more than 1 ounce. Enjoy your wonderful gun! Sauer made fantastic guns!

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I see an old gun like this my choice of shell size is more concerned with how the wood will stand up rather than the action getting loose.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Recoil Rob
When I see an old gun like this my choice of shell size is more concerned with how the wood will stand up rather than the action getting loose.

Exactly how I look at it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Mike325 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

That's a great point about the wood. Never thought of that. The action feels like the gun was made yesterday and the action (as well as firing on snap caps) feels more refined than my post-war Sauer and simson SxS guns.

This brings up a question, is it better to store the gun with firing springs/pins released (fe snap caps in the chambers and fired both barrels) vs storing it cocked? I assume yes but I would think that many of these are stored cocked for umpteen years so maybe it's not an issue at all?

Last edited by Mike325; 04/18/21 11:35 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by canvasback

Just to put a finer point on it, what I mean to endorse when Rob says "shell size" is the amount of recoil being generated. A function mostly of shot load and speed to which that load is accelerated. Not pressure. It's just rather handy that typically the shells I buy of correct length and loading for the guns I use are also on the low pressure side of the equation.

Those pre war Sauers are pretty nice guns and you seem to have snagged a dandy. Good luck with it.

Last edited by canvasback; 04/19/21 08:13 AM.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Mike325 Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Just to put a finer point on it, what I mean to endorse when Rob says "shell size" is the amount of recoil being generated. A function mostly of shot load and speed to which that load is accelerated. Not pressure. It's just rather handy that typically the shells I buy of correct length and loading for the guns I use are also on the low pressure side of the equation.

Those pre war Sauers are pretty nice guns and you seem to have snagged a dandy. Good luck with it.
Thanks!

That makes sense to me about recoil and affect on the wood. I don't really notice recoil much at all unless shooting a lot of heavy loads for geese or slugs etc. I probably hold it technically incorrect but I put a lot of "push-pull" with arms, no matter the gun, pistol, rifle, whatever. I learned the hard way when I was just a kid how not to hold a 12 gauge ha ha. I have a friend to this day who only shoots 20 gauge cuz he hates 12 gauge recoil. He always lets his shoulder take all the brunt of the recoil. I tried to tell him hands, forearms, arms can be "shock absorbers" and not to hold it so gingerly. But u can lead a horse to water... not a big deal of course when shooting light loads.

It does make me wonder a bit if how a person holds it affects the amount of "shock" to the wood. But that's just an "academic" question though I think, cuz a person is going to hold it in whatever way works for the most hits for him/her.

I also wonder how much simple age of the wood is a factor. I had a pretty nice post war Suhl SxS that got damaged because UPS dropped it (it was incorrectly shipped as one piece, not broken down, and it wasn't in a hard case). Really nice stock was broken badly after that drop (see pic below) frown that broken stock got me wondering if wood was overly brittle or if it was due to just a really big drop (I'm pretty sure it was the latter) combined with not shipping it broken down/not in a hard case.

BTW, FYI UPS insurance is worthless unless UPS themselves do the packaging. I paid for insurance on the Suhl SxS but they wouldn't honor it. And In talking with a large classic gun dealer (not the dealer who shipped that suhl) they said UPS denies insurance claims 100% of the time. Only by long arduous protest can u ever get paid apparently and that is very rare from what they said. In my case UPS never honored the insurance (but the dealer who shipped it stood by it fortunately). [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Mike325; 04/19/21 05:13 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quick answer to your question. Very little.

Shock is transmitted almost immediately from the receiver to the wood, and then to you.

Wood shrinks a bit as it ages. That can create gaps where the receiver meets the wood, reducing the load bearing surface and concentrating the recoil on an ever decreasing bit of wood. This is exacerbated by poor care over the decades, particularly the common “oil soaked” head of the stock. The oil further weakens the wood.

No one should ever ship a two piece gun fully assembled. ALWAYS break them down.

I’ve shipped lots of old guns. I pack them like they are valuable antiques. Which they are. I’ve never had a problem. Not saying I won’t but I sure take steps to make sure I don’t. Too many shippers of guns pack them badly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.