March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (lagopus, Marc Ret, Argo44, 3 invisible), 290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

No apology needed- anything like a spell checker is a mystery to me. FYI- the Margarita was named after Hemingway's 3rd wife, Martha Gellhorn.invented at the Floridita (little flower) Bar in Havana, circa 1939-- Colorado- love to have fly fished there, when I was fly fishing all over Montana-I got hooked on top drawer cane fly rods in the 1980's-- glad to hear the market is still solid for them-after I'm gone, son-in-law will sell them for my "estate", as it were. The Denver Wright & McGill fly rods were equal in quality to the pe-fire H.L.Leonards (IMO) and Stan (now Steve) Bogdan's fly reels better than Walkers, Vom Hofe's and Hardy Perfects, again, IMO. Do you fly fish by chance. I hear that you need the landowner's permission to float the rivers in CO- not the case in MT-- anyway, sounds like you have an appreciation for the finer things in life- Tight Lines-- RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

You should be able to find one of these used for $1300-ish. Not to everyone's liking style-wise, but hard to beat on a performance per dollar ratio:

https://www.browning.com/products/f.../Cynergy-CX-Composite-Charcoal-Gray.html

Sidelock
Sidelock

Fwiw, I'm pretty sure Lloyd is looking for a $700 gun at the most, and hopes he doesn't find it. When someone says "dirt cheap", they usually mean dirt cheap. Two big dump-truck loads of good dirt is now that much, delivered.
JR

Last edited by John Roberts; 04/12/21 09:49 AM.

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Mr. Roberts is right, a $700 gun would be torture. I've got an 870 express or two (certainly heavy enough) I could use but I am afflicted by the two tube thing here as well. I'm also a southpaw, which further complicates things. I did manage to locate my old Pacific rotary press (366?) that my elk hunting buddy used for the Boy Scouts. All that remains is finding the rolling ingredients which seem to be in short supply as well these days. Old Brownings and Rugers aside, there seems to be lots of options as I cast my eye over the vastness of the internet. I haven't even begun to troll through the few used guns shops we have here. It's fun to have something to look for so I'll enjoy the process. Not sure that time is exactly on my side, but I'm in no hurry. I suppose that once I get the gun, I'll need a cart too, and perhaps some of the lovely attire?

Mr. Fox: Before Wright & McGill took over there was the Goodwin Granger company, and those fly rods dominate my arsenal here (along with a few select Heddons). I even have an Edward's quad just to keep things diverse. I've owned a number of older Hardy reels (& still have a bunch of the newer ones) but have settled on pre-war (30s) Pfluegers to keep my blue collar cane in good company. I even use silk lines on occasion. Fly fishing in Colorado has suffered from all of the growth along the Front Range to the point where I now mostly go to Wyoming. My problem is that I remember how good it used to be.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/12/21 10:57 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How about something like this:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ot-imp-cyl-mod.cfm?gun_id=101418699#lg-1

The Miroku OU's (and sxs as well, if you don't mind being odd man out and shooting a sxs at SC) are very reliable and very good buys on the used market. Likewise, you might also pick up either an Ithaca-imported SKB or a Citori, older versions without choke tubes. You will struggle to find anything longer than 28" barrels, and chokes will often be M/F which you'll want to open some for targets. I have no problem shooting 100 sporting clays with 16ga sxs that weigh 6 1/2# or less, although that's mostly with 7/8 oz reloads, using some 1 oz factory loads for longer targets. Any of the guns I recommended above will work fine for you all day shooting 1 oz 12ga target loads.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Laying all jokes beside. Take a look at the Rizzini sporters. The one with the sideplate action fully engraved looks great as well as their new one that copies the Perazzi.
Yildiz also is making a Perazzi clone that looks great and is a super deal. There are tons of videos on You Tube about them.
Check them out.

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
How about something like this:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ot-imp-cyl-mod.cfm?gun_id=101418699#lg-1

The Miroku OU's (and sxs as well, if you don't mind being odd man out and shooting a sxs at SC) are very reliable and very good buys on the used market. Likewise, you might also pick up either an Ithaca-imported SKB or a Citori, older versions without choke tubes. You will struggle to find anything longer than 28" barrels, and chokes will often be M/F which you'll want to open some for targets. I have no problem shooting 100 sporting clays with 16ga sxs that weigh 6 1/2# or less, although that's mostly with 7/8 oz reloads, using some 1 oz factory loads for longer targets. Any of the guns I recommended above will work fine for you all day shooting 1 oz 12ga target loads.

SKB SxS are being bought by cowboy shooters who then have the barrels chopped, the action slicked up and sometimes convert the inertia trigger to mechanical triggers. I doubt there are going to be very many inexpensive SxS SKB's to be found.

For a new SxS under $1000, I think the entry level CZ is about the only SxS. I've seen them as low as $599 + sales tax and I was impressed at the build quality on the one I bought. Certainly far better than a Stoeger or used Stevens 311, which are the only other inexpensive SxS I've seen recently. I do think that the CZ double might be a little light for sporting clays or any other shooting sport where you might fire 100+ shells a day.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Respectively,your assessment of the folks that participate in “clay games” is way off base.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Lloyd3 Online Content OP
Sidelock
OP Online Content
Sidelock

Mr. Brown: The Mirokus are great guns and good values that would likely serve with distinction, as would many others O/Us (SKB, ATA, Yildiz, etc.). I actually have a heavier CZ SxS boxlock that I bought for my son last year to shoot ducks with. Combining that with 1 ounce loads should work nicely. As Mr. Roberts surmised earlier, I'm evaluating being "bitten" by this new (at least to me) distraction and the reality of shouldering yet another shooting hobby in the present political & economic climate. No matter, I'm confident that it will all work out. I just have to decide what suits me.

Mr. Nelson: You are correct. I was being overly critical of something I clearly don't know much about. You can take the boy out of the country...

Last edited by Lloyd3; 04/12/21 11:54 AM.
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by PALUNC
Laying all jokes beside. Take a look at the Rizzini sporters. The one with the sideplate action fully engraved looks great as well as their new one that copies the Perazzi.
Yildiz also is making a Perazzi clone that looks great and is a super deal. There are tons of videos on You Tube about them.
Check them out.

None of which are $700 guns........ all jokes Aside.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.