March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
12 members (eeb, earlyriser, Hammergun, ChiefAmungum, 2 invisible), 376 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

And before one of our resident grammarians calls either Remington 40x or me on it, when referring to someone as a source of knowledge or wisdom, both "fount" and "font" are correct.

Nothing the government gives you is free.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Goillini
And before one of our resident grammarians calls either Remington 40x or me on it, when referring to someone as a source of knowledge or wisdom, both "fount" and "font" are correct.

I don't correct grammar, but I wondered when I saw that...Geo

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Weren't old billiard ball made from ivory? Janeck solved the bead problem by going with gold and I would guess others did also.

Hal #595224 04/09/21 02:54 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hal
Weren't old billiard ball made from ivory? Janeck solved the bead problem by going with gold and I would guess others did also.

The last ivory billiard balls were produced in the early 1970's. And even by then, the vast majority were made from acrylic resins. Manufacturers began getting away from ivory balls in the late 19th century, when the demand for billiard balls was already putting extreme pressure on Asian and African elephant populations. It took two to three average tusks to make one set of ivory billiard balls. They turned to materials like ox bones, nitrocellulose, bakelite, polyester, and phenolic resins.

I've heard the nitrocellulose balls were somewhat unstable, and could actually explode upon impact. That would add some excitement to the game. Of course, nitrocellulose is also known as gun cotton, one of the components of double base smokeless gun powder.

In addition to walrus ivory, mammoth ivory, whale ivory, warthog, ivory, etc. there is still a lot of old elephant ivory on the market, in spite of trading and sales bans. It was used for all manner of items such as ornaments, jewelry, utensil handles, pistol grips, statuettes, chess pieces, etc. Ivory items frequently turn up at Flea Markets, antique shops, local auctions, Pawn Shops, etc. There should be no need for the foreseeable future to resort to gluing up thin strips of piano keys to fabricate something as small as a shotgun bead. The problem lies in the legality of selling that gun in the future, and the risk that some government entity might confiscate your gun because it has an ivory bead. Right now, that risk is small unless you sell across certain state lines. But with anti-gun environmentalist wacko Democrats in power, that could change as quickly as Altzheimer Joe Biden's latest anti-gun executive orders.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. My Canadian father in law Col. Denison brought back an ivory cribbage board after being a Japanese POW for 3 1/2 years when Hong Kong fell. The board had full 3D carvings of dragons, phoenixes, etc. on all four edges. Likely elephant, as the board slowly warped a bit into a tusk-like arc.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.