April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (Jimmy W, bsteele, Jeremy Pearce, Ian Forrester, Dale May, 2 invisible), 825 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,831
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’m certainly no expert but what about the ‘engraved by kornbrath Hartford ct’ on the floor plate? Is that typical of his work?

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by 257rob
I’m certainly no expert but what about the ‘engraved by Kornbrath Hartford Ct’ on the floor plate? Is that typical of his work?
The problem I see with the engraving is that the execution of the scrolls and animal is lifeless, not anything like his better work. He did not sign all his work, as I understand, and would most likely sign his better pieces.

So I am saying choose for yourself.

Last edited by LRF; 03/29/21 07:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I get it, just trying to learn. Intriguing subject. Interesting rifle although out of my price range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This thread went downhill in a hurry. How about expanding our knowledge of Kornbrath with a series of photographs explaining the faked up Kornbrath guns. A good start would be pictures of Griffin and Howe guns from the early days that Michael Petrov opined that most if not all engraved guns were done by Kornbrath. Thanks for the education. What happened to the "Kornbrath Files" that Michael apparently donated to the Cody museum? Are they available for research? I remember seeing those documents for sale at the Baltimore Show in the early sixties. Wow, that was what, sixty years ago? I was interested in them but the price was a little high for someone interested more in Parker shotguns than engraver history. I assume they went through several hands before getting to Michael. Were these early Griffin and Howe guns signed by Kornbrath or just identified by "style" and "excellence"?

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some pictures I received from Dan asking me to post them for him:

His comment: "Here are a couple photos of my engraved Sman if you would like to post them to the forum Sman thread."
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by LRF; 03/30/21 02:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LRF
Originally Posted by 257rob
I’m certainly no expert but what about the ‘engraved by Kornbrath Hartford Ct’ on the floor plate? Is that typical of his work?
The problem I see with the engraving is that the execution of the scrolls and animal is lifeless, not anything like his better work. He did not sign all his work, as I understand, and would most likely sign his better pieces.

So I am saying choose for yourself.

I agree with the above. The animal depictions are near Winchester 1950's in quality,,and that has often been described as cartoonish.
The scroll style is one he often cut but this example is not nearly as detailed and shaded as profusely as his normally seen work.
The edge simple clean line borders are not so much that and they are very wide unlike the very narrow ones he used when done so.

The stick lettered name placed in the border strikes me as an after thought of another engraver or on the orders of an owner trying to 'upgrade' what they had.

Look at some of Kornbrath's signitures on his work, they alone are works of art.

There's more work around signed and or attributed to Kornbrath and a few other well knowns than any could have done in 3 lifetimes.
Copying old work is no great trick, it's been done for centuries.
Oh,,the piece is Signed by the engraver ??,,How many do you want...

Last edited by Kutter; 03/30/21 11:24 AM. Reason: finished the text after the cat entered the msg prematurely
LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Kutter
I agree with the above. The animal depictions are near Winchester 1950's in quality,,and that has often been described as cartoonish.
The scroll style is one he often cut but this example is not nearly as detailed and shaded as profusely as his normally seen work.
The edge simple clean line borders are not so much that and they are very wide unlike the very narrow ones he used when done so.

The stick lettered name placed in the border strikes me as an after thought of another engraver or on the orders of an owner trying to 'upgrade' what they had.

Look at some of Kornbrath's signitures on his work, they alone are works of art.

There's more work around signed and or attributed to Kornbrath and a few other well knowns than any could have done in 3 lifetimes.
Copying old work is no great trick, it's been done for centuries.
Oh,,the piece is Signed by the engraver ??,,How many do you want...

Thanks Kutter for lending your expertise.
In faked art it is often the brush strokes that distinguish between the real and the fake, "full of life" vs "Mechanical". I believe the "brush strokes" (engraver cuts) are just "Mechnical" in this work.

Last edited by LRF; 03/30/21 02:48 PM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the springfield photo supposed to be a kornbrath engraved gun?

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
Is the springfield photo supposed to be a kornbrath engraved gun?

DanL can you answer the above question?
I believe the answer is going to be yes but not sure what provenance he has. I believe Michael P also had input on this rifle back in this thread:
Rifles

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.