March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Licensed to kill, Little Creek, FallCreekFan, Karl Graebner, KDGJ, Argo44), 803 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,023
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
It doesn't take a big guy to shoot a heavy gun well. That is proven fact. But, what are the real reasons for wanting to own a 32 gauge, at all?

I think I know, but I will keep my thoughts on that to myself (because ICBW), and prefer to hear other's opinions.

Flinch? Other than that, I got nothing.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Clearly it'd be the "cool" factor for me, as there's certainly no advantage to a 32-bore over another gauge. Surely you'd be the only guy on the dove field with a 32 gauge, nobody'd be bumming shells; and just imagine all the great conversations a 32-bore would start before and after the shoot once you've demonstrated your incredible marksmanship. I see a 32 gauge as a great way to meet new shooters and make friends; and can't imagine a more interestng and fun gun gauge at the moment. I actually have a 32 gauge single shot "Captur" gun, but the chamber is a about 3/8" short for a standard length Fioochi shell so it remains unfired by yours truly.
Had my 14 gauge JN Scotts hammerless out the other day; nice tight gun that certainly retains lots of "cool" factor, but clearly ammo challenged. While tinkering I noticed a 16 gauge shell fit the chamber with only slight looseness, so I'm thinking of trying some low pressure 16 gauge loads in the gun; would I be an idiot?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Topgun,

In Greener’s “Fine Guns” catalogue circa 1935 they offer the 24 bore as being the gun that “should displace all 12 bores for Game Shooting in Great Britain and Quail and Snipe in all Tropical Latitudes “ whilst of the 32 bore they sat it is the “last word in gun construction”.

On the 32 bore they go on to say “no appreciable recoil, little noise, wonderful precision and as many as 75 cartridges can be carried in the pocket without inconvenience “

On 16 bore cartridges in a 14 bore see Ross Seyfried in DGJ Winter 2018 using RST low pressure 16 bore loads in a 14 bore with “one wrap of duct tape” to fit chamber to shoot a mallard drake.

Might be less sticky to make up some stiff paper tubes for the purpose.

Have fun with your odd bore sizes (both obsolete calibre and therefore “off ticket” unless used on this side of the pond),

Keep Well

Parabola

Sidelock
Sidelock

My grouse gun of choice is a 6 pound 4 ounce ten gauge J.P. Sauer. Conversely, recently I won a Chinese Skeet round (trap from skeet stations) with a .410 Superposed. Variety is the spice of shotguns. I have a box of 32 gauge brass, just in case the right gun comes along.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Parabola, I'll check out Ross's article and get myself up to speed on the 14 gauge; but are 14 gauge guns and shells not considered obsolete on your "side of the pond"?
As to the 32-bore, it and the .410 carry the same standard 1/2 ounce pay load but I would think the 32 would pattern better; anyone had any experience testing and comparing the two?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can buy 14, 24 and 32 bore shotguns in the UK as antiques without holding a Shotgun Certificate unless you intend to use them in which case you need one.

There are obsolete calibres for guns, but no such thing as “antique ammunition” (except cartridges that do not contain their own means of ignition).

So to buy 32 bore etc cartridges you still need a shotgun certificate.

1/2 ounce in a 32 bore should in theory pattern better than a .410 ( shorter shot column) but it probably varies from gun to gun and cartridge to cartridge.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At your suggestion I did revisit the 2018 DGJ and read Seyfried's account of his 14 gauge duck hunt; his was a Lancaster single shot hammer gun that he found very effective (4 for 4 on Mallards) loaded with RST 16 gauge shells wrapped in a layer of duct tape to keep them tight in the chamber. I've accumulated 6-8 original 14 gauge paper shells, 3-4 NOS paper cases, and 5 Greener 14-bore brass cases modified to fit the chamber (bases on standard cases too thick, won't allow gun to close). Obviously I don't want to shoot the vintage paper shells, and with only a limited number of brass cases it seems using 16 gauge shells is the way to go. The gun I have is a hammerless Damascus double gun labeled JN Scotts; and the best information I can find is that the JN Scott gun was made by WC Scott and the name JN Scotts was assigned to guns for export to the US (and maybe elsewhere?). This is a true sidelock and a quality piece inside and out. There seem to be a fair number of JN Scott labeled hammer guns noted on the web, but I'm only aware of three hammerless examples thus far; a 10, a 12, and my 14 bore. These odd bore guns are one of the factors making shot gunning interesting and fun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by topgun
Surely you'd be the only guy on the dove field with a 32 gauge, nobody'd be bumming shells; and just imagine all the great conversations a 32-bore would start before and after the shoot once you've demonstrated your incredible marksmanship.

I'm the only gun on the dove fields with a .410, don't need a 32 gauge for that. So, nobody bums shells. And, if you're not going to shoot but 1/2 oz. you may as well stick with the .410.

As far as patterns go comparing the .410 and the 32, my patterns with my .410s and my 3/4 oz. loads defy all armchair logic and are beautiful. And they kill just as good as they look.

No 32s for me. I don't need another reloader in 32 gauge, and a stash of wads.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've never owned a 32 gauge, but I did own a 24ga Beretta OU . . . briefly. Found out by accident that it would shoot 28ga shells. But they slip past the extractors, so kind of a PITA.

Initially, I thought a 24ga might be neat. Half way between a 20 and a 28. Only problem is--at least as far as I know--they're all 2 1/2 inch guns with a lighter shot charge than the 28's standard 3/4 oz--never mind the 7/8 and 1 oz 28's you can buy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Now Brother Stan, you know very well the comment above was intended tongue-in-cheek; although I was indeed thinking of you when I mentioned incredible marksmanship, as I believe you could get a limit of doves armed only with rocks. I shot many doves with a couple of 28 gauge O/U guns back in the day, but the only time I tried dove shooting with a .410 I was humbled to the point of humiliation; the only bird I got that day I had to chase down and ring its neck.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.