April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,091
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by btdtst
Yes, calving during nasty weather is an extremely brutal, miserable and often heart breaking job which the vast majority of people don't think about and are totally unaware of.
I've had some times pitching as I could with this type of thing. When I read stories of no place to hunt, I've noticed, it's a consistent theme of many ranchers to allow access to those willing to volunteer a little time.

My wife really likes the sound of windchill numbers, all I know is that no doubt I can feel it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

No snow or ice storms yet this year in GA I know about. Cold and rainy though if you guys will let us count 30's and 40's F as cold. Kind of embarrassing for a southern boy to post in a thread like this one...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wildlife will suffer a lot from this cold snap. I have come across several coveys of quail which froze to death on the roost in a little circle. Very sad sight.

When I was hunting off the Chesapeake Bay, when things froze solid I had three fresh water fed springs which stayed open in my marsh. During duck season they always held birds. In 1979 the Bay froze completely but my little springs stayed open. It was so cold every state in the lower 48 had snow which could be seen from orbit. It froze a mile and a half out into the ocean.

Season was closed so I put out several hundred pounds of corn. State game warden saw me doing it and though I was going to shoot ducks out of season. When he confronted me I explained that I was feeding the ducks because I had killed many a duck on this marsh and today was time to pay them back. Believe it or not he helped me take in the last couple hundred pounds of corn to one of the springs. Ronnie is retired now but I always remember him helping me keep a few ducks alive. In a week things opened up and the ducks dispersed but without that corn, at the right time, far fewer would have been left to disperse. I still put out a bit extra when the weather gets extreme.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As far as wind chill goes I talked to a guy from Sioux Lookout that claimed Iowa was the coldest place in North America.

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon, further to your point. We had a bad cold snap along with heavy freezing rain just before Christmas 2013. You could and people did skate across fields.

Prior we had a ton of turkey in the area. After it was 4 years before I saw any and they still aren’t back to the way they were. I’m guess other populations took a similar hit.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Being in the geographical center of North America, we have the extreme in continental climate. Our all-time low is -60F and our high 121F. Weird thing is they both occurred in the same year (1936).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.