March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (SKB, FlyChamps, cpa, Dan S. W., Ken Nelson, 1 invisible), 807 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm in the same boat with my goofy collection of firecracker packs and labels. The big problem there is on eBay where a rarity shows up and goes for an outlandish price. Then if the seller has duplicates a wealthy collector will swoop in and buy everything the seller was going to put in his next offerings. Poof! Gone. Good for buyers as they pick up trading stock, but bad for them as if they try to resell no collectors will pay nearly as much as the original sold for, now knowing that more examples exist. Collecting is still fun though, and we have a fairly long list of "one-offs' that includes the only known examples of some of the 'brands' once on the market.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A key aspect of my staying grounded in a world gone mad is that Ive never lost the sense of what it's like to struggle...to be a "have not." So even after achieving a fairly uncommon success level in life, I'm simply not wired to want to 'acquire' things beyond some point.

It varies, of course, based on what that 'thing' or 'experience' is. But I always know it when I'm there.

Dropping 20k on a beautifully engraved gun, or a painting, or a Tiffany lamp, or even a once in a lifetime experience...those things I get, and have done, and consider part of allowing yourself to enjoy life.

But 20k for a cardboard box is just...

He's been gone a long time, but I can perfectly imagine my father's ice blue eyes glaring at me in astonishment. *lol*

NDG

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have always admired a man more for what he could do than for what he had.

Nonetheless, sometimes it's fun watching other people part with their $$$.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

As Lord Kelvin famously said science is physics and the rest is just stamp collecting. Lots of truth there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I have always admired a man more for what he could do than for what he had.

Might maybe be a correlation there.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It gets to the point where you have too much stuff.

We all have the same amount of time each day, for some of us we can get all the stuff we want but we really don’t have time to enjoy it.

I don’t need five houses. I don’t need 10 boats. I don’t need 50 shotguns.

Some people do.

if I had tens of millions of dollars, and wanted to have the rarest and most desired thing to sit on a bookshelf that I probably would forget about a week after I bought it, it would be no hardship to do so.

I prefer that when people reach the point in life where they really have far more than they’ll ever need, that they choose to do good things.

Sometimes on the way there people surround them selves with objects.
Sort of reminds me of a hermit crab, and the way they decorate their shell with stuff as they scurry around on the ocean floor.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
It gets to the point where you have too much stuff.

Reckon the feller buyin’ h’aint there yet.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me of Dr. Barnes in Philadelphia.
World’s biggest collector of Renoir paintings.
I have to say, Renoir must’ve got a good deal on green paint when he was selling those things to Dr. Barnes, because there is row after row of them in the museum, and the background in every one is green.

Dr. Barnes had plenty of money, but there must’ve come a time when interest transitioned into obsession.

If you don’t have someone telling you how great you are for what you do, or what you have, having all kinds of stuff goes hollow pretty quick.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The box might contain Geraldo Riviera's empty whiskey bottle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
If you don’t have someone telling you how great you are for what you do, or what you have, having all kinds of stuff goes hollow pretty quick.

Spoken from experience?

I have the opposite problem. Let’s me know I must be doing something right.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.