March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (BEY, ChiefAmungum, canvasback, FelixD, Dan R, 2 invisible), 385 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I put plastic wrap across the opening then cap and store upside down, keeps for years. Bobby

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

BLOxygen is just argon in a small can, if I understand correctly.

The stoploss guys should make a gasketed spout so that a small amount of finish could be dispensed and no additional air would get in even while dispensing. a cap to close it for storage would be good, but if there were a second cap with a gasket, the finish would basically never see air of any kind while in its container. 🤔

The second best option, as far as I can tell, would be a gasketed condiment bottle stored on the cap with argon/BLOxygen in the empty space. Similar idea to the two screws, but stored and dispensed in a way that would minimize air entry.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Thanks, on both accounts. I didn't remember how Keith said to introduce the gas into your container.

I'll be looking for a report on the bags.

SRH

Stan, I normally use Ultramix 80-20 Argon CO2 as shielding gas for my MIG welder. Knowing that this inert gas is heavier than air, I simply lift the wire feed wheels on my MIG, and then use the gun to squirt gas into the open can of finish to displace the air in the can. A few seconds seems to be plenty for a partial quart container. Then I quickly reseal the can. I started doing this after I read about Bloxygen, but then realized that I had both a 220 cu. ft. and a 90 cu. ft. cylinder of inert gas already in my shop, on my welders.

I began using it to preserve moisture cure urethane paint, which is great stuff, but too expensive to have partial cans turn to rubber. I agree that the Stop Loss bags look interesting, but they also look like a pain in the ass to fill with unused finish, easily punctured, and you no longer have the original labeling information. They are also fairly expensive for saving small quantities.... much more costly than a squirt of inert gas.

I can see rocky mtn bill buying some of these plastic bags, and trying to improve them by poking a couple drywall screws into them... because he has it in his head that his screws will magically exclude the air that causes unused finishes to degrade or harden in the can or bottle. But that is the dangerous sort of intellect that makes a gun owner vote for the Democrats who want to eliminate gun rights.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Self-imposed ignorance and conscientious stupidity are a toxic combination. Keith embodies both. I don't claim any credit for the screws; I just saw that Dave's LinSpeed was still good after a long storage. If reporting that makes me look foolish to Keith. then I say he can take a .... at a rolling donut.

Last edited by rocky mtn bill; 02/10/21 02:04 PM.

Bill Ferguson
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by rocky mtn bill
Self-imposed ignorance and conscientious stupidity is a toxic combination....

...embodies both. I don't claim any credit....

....I say he can take a .... at a rolling donut.
How many torpedos does it take to sink a thread?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

stick around. we might find out...

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would like to add that many plastic storage containers are made of certain plastics that will allow solvents to escape at the molecular level making what you put in them to thicken over time. Also I do like to keep things in their original container if at all possible because you never know when you may need the health and safety information on the packaging. My method of keeping things especially paints and other items containing solvents is to remove Oxygen from the container and making sure the container closure is in good condition. In the photograph is a very low cost tin of Butane gas specifically for refilling gas lighters. By using one of the many adapters that come with the gas a bottle top and a short length of tubing and ingenuity you can come up with this simple air displacer. Butane is flammable but just as flammable as the many solvents used in the products, before closing the lid or top of the container I give a quick burst of gas to remove the air. I have found that doing this simple step things stay in usable condition for many years.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
Sidelock

I use Stanton Hills' method of storing the opened container upside down. I never could collect the necessary number and sizes of marbles to precisely expel all the air without overflowing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by rocky mtn bill
Self-imposed ignorance and conscientious stupidity are a toxic combination. Keith embodies both. I don't claim any credit for the screws; I just saw that Dave's LinSpeed was still good after a long storage. If reporting that makes me look foolish to Keith. then I say he can take a .... at a rolling donut.

First off Billy, as a retired English teacher, you ought to know the meaning of the word "conscientious"--

con·sci·en·tious
/ˌkän(t)SHēˈen(t)SHəs/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: conscientious

(of a person) wishing to do what is right, especially to do one's work or duty well and thoroughly.
"a conscientious and hardworking clerk"

It is so fitting that in your latest personal attack, you attempt to accuse me of stupidity and self-imposed ignorance, and then go on show us that you are both stupid and ignorant, via your malapropism. But we already knew that. You probably do not know what a malapropism is either, so let me help you:

mal·a·prop
/ˈmaləˌpräp/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: malapropism

the mistaken use of a word in place of a similar-sounding one, often with unintentionally amusing effect, as in, for example, “dance a flamingo ” (instead of flamenco ).

I never said that you claimed credit for the drywall screws. I simply told you why your idea that they would prevent oxygen laden air from entering the bottle of Linspeed, as you dispensed liquid, was wrong and goofy. It was even sillier for you to double-down on stupidity. You did not just relate your observations. You backed up your silly claims with even sillier ideas. I too have had cans or bottles of unused finish that did not quickly harden or skin over in the original container for some time... without any drywall screws in the lids. But more often than not, once a can is opened, the remaining shelf life is reduced dramatically. Some products, such as polyurethane (Gorilla) glues, can harden in an unopened bottle in a year or so. Different storage conditions give different results.

I also provided you and others who you misinformed with a couple much better options. Those who own a MIG or TIG welder already have access to inert shielding gas. Bloxygen is not terribly expensive, compared to repeatedly wasting finish, paints, etc.

Finally, I don't attack you just for the sake of attacking you... even though you vote for anti-gun Democrats. You should recall that I gave you credit for your knowledge about walnut when Bob Cash and Queen Stevie demonstrated their inability to see the glaring difference between a blank of feather-crotch black walnut, and a finished stock made of thin shell walnut. So quit being such a hyper-sensitive crybaby. In my world, we do not hand out trophies and praise for being wrong... just to spare the feelings of thin-skinned Libtards. I commented on your assertions because they are wrong.

The butane recommended by Damascus will indeed work well. In the deleted Thread, I mentioned propane used in common propane torches as another heavier-than-air alternative. Like butane, the disadvantage is that it is flammable, and argon-CO2 isn't. As a hydrocarbon based gas, the greater reactivity of either butane or propane probably would not be an issue with most stock finishes.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Hey billie keith, speaking of walnut, were you ever able to figure out what a quarter sawn stock blank looks like? Not likely.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.