March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Travis S), 251 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,976
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Very Best Custom Rifle - Westley Richards Farquharson / Griffin & Howe / Leonard Mews

A member here asked me to bring this over from another forum.

Its my excitement over this recent acquisition, that I thought to share - This is the very best custom rifle in my collection.

220 SWIFT - WESTLEY RICHARDS FARQUHARSON / GRIFFIN & HOWE / LEONARD MEWS CUSTOM SINGLE SHOT

I've been collecting custom rifles made by Leonard Mews for OVER 40 years, and have several in my collection.

Leonard Mews was a personal friend and a member of 2 of my local gun clubs.

In my opinion, and that of many others, he was one of the very best stock-makers that ever lived.

For those unfamiliar with Leonard, early in his career he worked for Roy Weatherby. Later he worked on his own, and turned out many dozens of Masterpieces.
His works were shown in many of the early Gun Digest's in the "Custom Guns" section. His hay-day was from the 1950s to the 1980s.

Here's a short introduction to Leonard Mews, - before I show-off my latest treasure.

[Linked Image from buckstix.com]

And here's my treasure.

"Best Quality" Engraved Westley Richards Farquharson New Model 1897 / Griffin & Howe, built by Leonard Mews.

220 Swift caliber
9 pounds 12 ounces with scope
25-1/2" Medium/Heavy weight barrel w/ accent Engraving
13-3/8" LOP
Presentation California Claro Black Walnut Stock
Shadow Outlined Cheek Piece
Round Rosewood Forend Tip
Signature Scalloped Rosewood Grip Cap with Raised Ivory Diamond inlay
Skip-Line "Rocket" pattern grip checkering
Skip-Line "Lightning" pattern Forearm checkering
Skip-Line "Shield" pattern Cheeks
Koshollek Checkered Steel Widow's Peak curved Butt Plate
Unertl 12x 1-1/2 Target Scope

..... continued ......

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

........ continued ........

Sidelock
Sidelock

Do we have to pay an entry fee at buckstix to look at their pictures?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD
Interestingly, if you right click on the links in buckstix posts, and then select "open in new tab" They come up just fine. And the photos are worth the effort. It's a heck of a nice rifle.
Hello BrentD,
Thanks for the reply.

Not sure why the pictured come up for some ... and not for others ..... but glad you could make it work.

Originally Posted by SKB
The Westley 1897 action is one of the finest British falling block designs and one of the few suited to high pressure cartridges due to its inline, rebounding firing pin and hammer. Here is mine in .256

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Hello SKB,
Thanks for the reply.

A nice rifle also.

Originally Posted by xausa
This is my Farquharson, which Steve (SKB) rebarreled to its original caliber, .450/.400, and completely refinished the metal work, which was sadly in need of it:

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Hello xausa,
Thanks for the reply.

a nice rifle also.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by eightbore
Thanks.
Hello eightbore,
Thanks for the reply.

Continued research has found that the rifle was being built during 1953 for Dr. Russel C. Smith. It is not known when the rifle was finally completed.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.