April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Leonard10, fab500, Stanton Hillis), 413 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#46482 06/30/07 10:50 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just out of curiosity...

Are guns that are "pinned" (not put together with screws) typically equipped with one piece hammer/ firing pins ? Just an observation and still learning.

Thanks

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't think so? Drive the hammer axle (pin?) out of a Browning Superposed and you'll get hammers that look like hammers rather than picks. Course you could tell that without knocking out the pin(?) because they're not buried in the "box" like those in say the average American boxlock sxs.

The word pin covers a lot of ground. The Brits call a machine screw a pin but a tapered wood screw they would probably call a screw. And then there are the "pins" in any gunframe or lockplate (for instance the five or seven-pin sidelock in which they can be axles for moving parts, columns which support the bridle, or v- spring anchors or studs (I think). And there's the strange tie rod between tangs on a Flues SBT which is both a tapered pin and a machine screw.

And the firing pins are also pins. A useful word for anything that fits in a hole!

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Agreed Jack.

I tried to clarify the "pin vs screw" thing for exactly that reason. I couldn't think of another word for well, a pin.

I think that I should have stated it "are all guns with dogtooth strikers pinned" (fastened w/o threads).

Recently picked up a Belgian blne with every conceivable reinforcement and it still sits around 7#. I was surprised when it had dt strikers.

Are those strikers typically found on lower quality guns?

Tom

Carbonation without fermentation is tyranny
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom, I wish the guys who KNOW were on their second cup this morning but here goes. IMO, perhaps less complex designs but surely not lower quality only. The cheapest Spanish sidelocks have discrete firing pins, "manhole covers" (disc-set strikers), and all the requisite counterboring, threading and tapping that go with them.

Angle of attack to the breech face has an influence. Typical design problem of o/u guns. How does one place two hammers on a single horizontal pivot but with different arcs of swing to pts. on a vertical line on the breech face? Successful placement of integral striker hammers on one horizontal shaft would produce a "system" of differing lock times and differing force of strike into the primer assuming one could work out the problems of hammer shape and obvious physical interference. Twin hammers and angles of attack of separate pins out of plumb to the breech face solve the problem with a train of detonation that literally "shoots around corners" at least in the case I am familiar with (the B-25).

Someone else will have to examine the distinction you may or may not be making between guns without threaded fasteners and those with. I'm not aware of any of the former as every side and boxlock I've seen has something (lockplates, triggerplates, internals) secured with a threaded fastener. In addition, the "fastener" nomenclature is also ambiguous as can mean the ancient usage of "bolt shot home in a slot or hole" (the prevalent use in gun terminology) or in general usage a machine screw. Finally, I don't think anyone thinks multiple "bolting" of frame to barrels is necessarily a sure indicator of quality of execution, longevity of operation, or value in a shotgun.

jack

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.