March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (ChiefAmungum), 205 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,975
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doctor friend of mine spent north of 30K this year on food plots, impoundment improvements to a duck and deer property he owns. Results were so bad that he won’t talk about them. In years past he shot 200+ ducks, 50-75 geese and several fine deer on his property. He decided to make it better this year. This year his total was 11 ducks, zero geese and last I knew zero deer. He had food but little water until mid Fall. The ducks never came. To add insult to this I took him and my son on a hunt on state land. Between the three of us we shot 15 ducks and two geese. So he had his worse year in ten years which we equaled or exceeded in one trip. John is grumpy about it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just on observation, there was really good appearing duck production in the potholes, but they do tend to move on when there's no open water. Geese on the other hand seem to be all over the wheat and hay fields of the plains into late January. I hope there is good late winter moisture prior to nesting, as I get the impression that the birds weren't forced to concetrate and may send more heading back north. The overall numbers may be on the rise.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacement - I hunted in the Sacramento area and experienced those same conditions, except the temp never hit 90. Most days there were no birds flying at all, and it only improved briefly when we finally got some weather in the last ten days. With so little rain, California is in for another terrible fire season.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Replacement - I hunted in the Sacramento area and experienced those same conditions, except the temp never hit 90. Most days there were no birds flying at all, and it only improved briefly when we finally got some weather in the last ten days. With so little rain, California is in for another terrible fire season.

We only hunted Sac once this season, and it was the opening afternoon of pheasant season, after we had gotten our two roosters each. We walked on at Delevan and other than one Hail Mary, did not fire a shot. I have a friend who farms north of Sac, and he floods his rice every year, partially for ducks. He told me he wanted to invite us up for a hunt, but there were no ducks. Just a rotten season, with few exceptions. I'm in So Cal and we hit 94F around the second week of January. I only hunted about eight days this season because of other priorities, but total bag was four ducks for the season. Good news is that I still have most of my ammo during this shortage.

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fortunately the bird watching is good on the rice farm I hunted this year. Just as we were about to pick up our dekes at sunset yesterday, a dozen tundra swans landed right in front of us. I'll remember that sight long after I have forgotten three months of empty blue skies.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cannot imagine duck hunting when the temperatures are in the 90s. That just ain't right. But, I guess you do what you have to do.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I cannot imagine duck hunting when the temperatures are in the 90s. That just ain't right. But, I guess you do what you have to do.

SRH

I’m with you Stan. Frankly if it’s over 50 it feels too warm. eek

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

By the same token, right across the river from me in S. Carolina (kerrliner), deer season opens in August. August in this clime means the three "S"s ......... sweat, skeeters and snakes, none of which make hunting enjoyable. And, who wants to clean a stinkin' deer in the sweltering heat?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know about deer hunting in August but we hunt teal in 90+ F weather. Frankly, I can't wait. I do plenty of REAL cold weather hunting and I'll choose moderation every time if I can get it, but from -20 to +90 F hunting beats sitting at home.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

ALL OF 2020 WAS NOT BAD HUNTING!

We hunted pheasant on a private farm in South Dakota in late October 2020 and limited each day.

Deer hunting in Missouri was good in 2020, near a record harvest. I got my buck in the first hour of the first day.

JERRY

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.