Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bls Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I found this great post below, but not sure where exactly this gun would fit in:
Trying to find a model and a date for:
VL&D Import Francotte, 12ga 2 5/8" Chamber, Number 31,XXXIC/IM, DT, highly engraved old style 'English Scroll" style, NON Ejector (oh the pity), Greener Crossbolt, Anson fore end release. Any other info I can add please ask.

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=229207#Post229207

Last edited by bls; 01/24/21 09:43 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

See if Griffin and Howe have it listed in their records.

http://secure.griffinhowe.com/research-listserial.cfm?make=2216

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
bls Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

They do not, but appreciate the idea.

Sidelock
Sidelock

bls, Rob's suggestion to check the griffinhowe web site is a really good one. I find it hard to believe that your gun is marked VL&D but is not listed on this serial number list but is imported by VL&D, however anything is possible. I AM NOT questioning your description, it is just an anomaly that I've not seen before.

I own two Francottes one is a grade 45 that is stunning with the typical engraving theme of an Eagle grade. The other is a Francotte "mid grade" sidelock (if there is such a thing) that was originally made for the European market. It is not marked with import marks and has 27 5/8" barrels and has or had other features that point to it being made for the European market.

I don't know if Bob Beach is still doing the documentation letters for Francottes but it is well worth the cost. JMHO but his letter makes the letters available for some other makers look like a joke. The amount of detail provided is amazing!

Last edited by Doug Mann; 01/25/21 10:44 AM.

Doug Mann
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's true, I got Bob's research for this Francotte sidelock I have, more like a small book with the amount of info in there.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've had similar luck. It's possible that Griffin & Howe don't have all the VL&D guns in their records, but they certainly have a lot of them. And as Recoil Rob pointed out, sometimes a search will turn up all kinds of interesting guns on which they have records. I had a 1930's Sauer 20ga. The research on that one included passenger manifests showing that the owner of the gun in question made a couple trans-Atlantic trips, etc. That's in addition to all the details on the gun.

bls Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As per Griffin and Howe, Tried Make: Francotte, A&F and VL&D.

The serial number that you entered was not found in those indexed from the Records Books to this date. Please try another serial number or review all of the serial numbers listed for that Make. As an ongoing project, it is quite possible that the serial number for which you searched will be recorded at a later date. Please check back periodically.
Make Name: FRANCOTTE

Is there another way to try to look up, or elsewhere?

ALSO< not sure how new this is, from GH Website:
PLEASE NOTE: GRIFFIN AND HOWE LONG TIME ARCHIVIST AND HISTORIAN HAS RETIRED. AT THIS POINT IN TIME WE ARE NOT ABLE TO PRODUCE RESEARCH OR ARCHIVE LETTERS. WHEN A REPLACEMENT HAS BEEN FOUND, WE WILL ATTEMPT TO GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH ALL INQUIRIES FOR LETTERS. WE APPRECIATE YOUR UNDERSTANDING DURING THIS TRANSITION.

Last edited by bls; 01/25/21 06:06 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Might you pleasure us w/ some pics?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

bls Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

bls Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The level of work and effort and attention to detail that would have been put into a 'mid level' gun back at the turn of the 1900s just amazes me.

[img][img]https://i.ibb.co/YpMmq62/IMG-0757.jpg[/img][/img]

[img]http://[img]https://i.ibb.co/YpMmq62/IMG-0757.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by bls; 01/27/21 11:39 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.