March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (BEY, ChiefAmungum, canvasback, FelixD, Dan R, 2 invisible), 385 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,987
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I recall back in the 70's or early 80's that Spanish made doubles got a bad reputation for having parts made with steel which had not been hardened properly. The gun with POS intials, Pride of Spain, was one of the worst examples. Sears of butter is how they were described. One gunsmith I knew used a POS 20 bore as a donor gun to make a .444 hog killing, double rifle. As I recall he had to go over all the internals and rework them and harden them properly. Was it just the POS line or were other makers like AYA having the same problems?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know but they just had the reputation. I saw a cat 20+ years ago purchase 100s of them and he could not give them away. Sidelocks that would easily catch the eye of a potential purchaser but once examined, they would pass. I was told it was similar steel of that used by Taiwan a decade earlier for tools? And Japan was given a blackeye before that.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know for sure but I have had a few of them over the last 50 years and none were a problem. But they just saw hunting use so no high volumes. My first double barrel I bought in 1971 was a Loyola 20 gauge. Paid $100.00 for it. That gave me a walnut stock, splinter forearm, ID medallion, crossbolt, auto safety, double triggers, bushed firing pins, case colored receiver, pistol grip cap and basic engraving. I still have the gun. It saw a fair bit of use for the first 3 or 4 years with no issues. And many of those loads were 3" magnums.

Last edited by gunsaholic; 01/22/21 09:42 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

hence, the origin of the spanish curse...

in reality, some spanish guns have been found to have soft sears...re hardening by skill hands solves problem...

spanish barrel steel is some of the best ever made...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes ed so when the gun is reduced to being a club it is most important for it to have good barrels.i wonder how many soft steel guns have been repaired rehardened ? Has anyone bought one lately?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those Spanish guns with soft metal parts where not limited to the USA we had them here in Brit land. Also poor steel was not limited to the very cheap Box lock's, a number of the pricier side locks also suffered from poor quality steel or no case hardening. I do bereave I was over crediting them with treatment they where just un-case hardened mild steel. This was the cause of the Spanish guns earning a bad reputation, though when AYA arrived the quality improved dramatically.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ellenbr
I don't know but they just had the reputation. I saw a cat 20+ years ago purchase 100s of them and he could not give them away. Sidelocks that would easily catch the eye of a potential purchaser but once examined, they would pass. I was told it was similar steel of that used by Taiwan a decade earlier for tools? And Japan was given a blackeye before that.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

If Japanese shogtuns had a black eye based on soft steel parts in the 60's and 70's, I must've missed it. I've owned several Ithaca-imported SKB's, Browning BSS, and Charles Daly--mostly Daly sxs rather than OU. (Which were Miroku-made guns, as was the BSS.) I didn't have any soft steel problems with any of them. And I don't recall any discussions here either of Japanese guns with that problem. Nor, for that matter, many problems of any kind. I do recall interviewing Abe Chaber, and he said that he replaced springs on quite a few Daly OU's. And it's not unusual for some Ithaca SKB sxs to develop small cracks in the stock right behind the receiver. Often as a result of the through bolt not being tight enough. Some SKB owners did have their stocks glass bedded for additional protection.

Re the Spanish guns, one of the least expensive ones sold in the States was the AyA Matador. I never much cared for the single triggers on those guns, which seemed to have a lot of creep. But I don't recall that soft steel parts were an issue.

Last edited by L. Brown; 01/22/21 12:40 PM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 20 ga.matador 28 inch barrels with the creepy trigger it has a selection button on the trigger the problem with this one is the extractor was hard and brittle and broken before I got it I repaired it still working no other problems.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cole Haugh told me he anneals and re-hardens the bits on any Spanish gun that comes in his door. He imported them, he would know.

Thank the Lord that wasn’t an issue on French guns, or, at least, the French guns I had anything to do with.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

What brand did Haugh import?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.